Help get (more) Dolby Atmos on Apple TV

Yes this is the Model X with RTD 1619

i created a thread here :

it should be available in June 2020

see you

So it looks like some progress is being made in the upcoming 6.3 release!
I read this as only Atmos via E-AC3 is being added, Can we expect to see anything from this update for TrueHD Atmos tracks? What has changed that allows Infuse to now play E-AC3 Atmos?

Apple supports Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos. It’s how all iTunes content is mastered. You won’t see TrueHD Atmos unless there is a way to convert it to Dolby MAT 2.0 or if Apple enables bitstreaming.

That’s great news finally so where can we get v6.3 ?

Correct, they have supported it since tvOS 12 but they have only allowed it for certain apps (AppleTV, Netflix, Amazon, etc.) I was wondering what advancements have been made where Infuse can now implement this.
Atmos has been in the “Planned” branch of the Upcoming Features thread for a very long time, and has now been moved into the 6.3 release, which is why I was asking :slight_smile:

v6.3 has not been released yet, it is next up in the Upcoming Features thread: Upcoming Features (updated 12/19/23)

It’s been working with MrMC for a while it’s just a matter of writing support for it. I’m going to guess that at the time content with the audio format was lacking. From what I’ve seen now that isn’t the case anymore.

1 Like

Finally something worth the upgrade soon - Dolby E-AC3 + Atmos :smiley:

By the way, it looks to me the latest Mac Mini (on Catalina) has almost the same limitations

• Movist/IINA/Kodi: output LPCM 2.0 or 5.1 or 7.1 (it looks like LPCM 7.1 all the time on the AVR side, so you can’t upmix 2.0 or 5.1 to 7.1, luckily newer AVRs can do LPCM 7.1 to NeuralX)
  • AppleTv+ app: defaults to LPCM but it can output bitstream (including DD+ Atmos I suppose, need to test it with a more recent AVR)

So the ATV is in good company…
Other than that the 2018 Mini is a competent 4K HEVC (jellyfish 400mbps no probs, gpu accelerated) machine with non-Atmos 7.1 audio output…which is no small feat given the history of limitations and “bags of hurt” on macs…

Hi,
can I test the beta for the upcoming release 6.3.x?

Not sure how many people have seen this, but maybe we can get more to sign:

James, maybe you can add to first page?

I can say this I personally saw this worked with LG OLED audio issues, so maybe we can get Apple to acknowledge once we get enough people.

Done. :slight_smile:

Sweet thanks. Maybe we can get to 1000 before WWDC

this is the movie im trying to play but i dont get no audio on apple 4K tv why?

Disc Title: Brick
Disc Label: Brick.2005.Blu-Ray.1080p.AVC.DTS-HDMA-zZq[Fixed]
Disc Size: 35,043,794,309 bytes
Protection: AACS
Playlist: 00004.MPLS
Size: 32,946,284,544 bytes
Length: 1:50:03.763
Total Bitrate: 39.91 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 33937 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1957 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1557 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps / DN -31dB
Subtitle: English / 29.404 kbps

@betfair

Hi,
I see that you have 3 audio tracks.
The first 2 are DTS HD Master audio which are the equivalent of of Dolby Atmos and are not supported by iOS unless they come from a streaming app (Apple TV+ or Netflix)
The third one is Dolby Digital 2.0 and should work
Have you tried changing the audio track ?
We are all waiting for an upcoming version of Infuse that will try to solve this problem. If they find a way to enable audio passthru (like Kodi or Plex do on an android box) then we will happy.
I hope the beta comes soon and we’ll see what works and what doesn’t…
Regards,
Elie

if Apple is not allowing passthrough, Firecore/Plex/… will not be able to implement it!

@bPlaTyPuS

Well if Apple really blocks the passthru then we’ll have to trust the wizards at Firecore to find a way to transcode the audio signal that comes with the movies we have stored locally so that it looks the same as the one on a streamed movie.
It’s a bit too technical for me but there must be a way to do it ! ?

that will solve only the lossy DD+Atmos not lossless true HD Atmos tracks as its primarily apple problem

yes they can decode to PCM but in this case ATMOS information is lost!.. so I think there’s no way for ATMOS/DTS:X soundtrack without losing information.

This is really starting to be a circular discussion thread. The implementation of bitstream atmos is up to Apple and with how they’re using the Apple TV to now push their own services I can’t see Apple implementing bitstreaming for a very very long time (if at all).

There are currently no open methods of converting Dolby atmos TrueHD to losses Dolby atmos DD+. The only tool I could find was the ultra expensive tools provided by Dolby and those are less a conversion tool and more a mastering tool. I’m guessing you’d need the original source master audio to be able to export as DD+.