HDR10 Black Crush due to HDMI Dynamic Range?

Hi everyone,

I have the following settings for ATV: 4K SDR 60hz, both match settings on, YCbCr 4:2:0, with high speed hdmi cables to Denon x2200w amp to Sony 65x900f.

My question, when playing back HDR10 content, ‘HDMI Dynamic Range’ on the Sony when in ‘auto’ modes stays in ‘Limited’ mode. Should this be switching to ‘Full’ instead?

The issue I have is that in auto/limited mode, black level is closer to reference and looks better, but shadow detail is crushed. When manually switching the HDMI dynamic range to ‘Full’, detail is increased, but blacks become greyer. Sony note the following below:

“if Auto is selected the TV will default to a limited dynamic range and the picture may appear with either white saturation (no details in bright white areas) or black saturation (no detail in dark scenes).”

Is something going wrong or is everything as it should be and I’m being pedantic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.

You should always use limited as this is what all content is mastered in. Full is used in PC connections and other non-video content.

Does the same content look weird when using other apps such as VLC? If so I’d suggest heading over to AVForums to get proper calibration settings.