HDR not supported in .ts file? (sample included)

Hello,

when I do record the program of the satellite channel “Travelxp 4k HDR” I get no HDR signal from Infuse Pro 6 on my Apple TV 4K to my Sony TV KD-65AF8.
Infuse switches correctly to HDR when I watch other 4K HDR movies, but why not when I do watch that recorded file?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rD7J6NAIxNxnziAv5tfzLQygOUXySYpU

When I watch that channel Travelxp 4k HDR live (or also recordings) using my satellite receiver “vu+ Uno 4k” it switches correctly to HDR. Why Infuse not?

Post the media info for the file. Is it a life TV show? If so it’s probably using HLG hdr which is used for broadcast TV and not supported by the Apple TV.

How can I get the media info?
It’s a “travel documentary” I think :slight_smile:

MediaInfo is an app that gives details on media files it’s a free download available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/ you can post the results here that may help figure out what’s going on.

Ok, thanks.
Does this help now?

General ID : 1035 (0x40B) Complete name : C:\Downloads\20191015 0645 - Travelxp 4k - Backpack.ts Format : MPEG-TS File size : 124 MiB Duration : 59 s 628 ms Overall bit rate mode : Variable Overall bit rate : 17.3 Mb/s

Video
ID : 767 (0x2FF)
Menu ID : 6202 (0x183A)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 25 h 22 min
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.8.22 (4.8.22.4)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG / BT.2020 (10-bit)
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

Audio
ID : 768 (0x300)
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Format version : Version 4
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15-2
Duration : 59 s 264 ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -603 ms
Language : German
Language, more info : Clean effects

Menu
ID : 98 (0x62)
Duration : 59 s 628 ms
List : 767 (0x2FF) (HEVC) / 768 (0x300) (AAC, German)
Language : / German

Yes, unfortunately the Apple TV doesn’t support HLG video at this time, so these videos will be played in SDR. Sorry.

Does or doesn’t?

Sorry. The ATV does not support HLG.

Ok, thank you. So that problem comes from Apple, not from Infuse, right?

Yes it’s Apple. Apple only supports HDR10 and single layer Dolby Vision

Is Infuse using the media player of Apple or an own one or something like VLCkit?

It’s own but it still relies on what Apple is able to render and Apple hardware does not render HLG. You’ll run into the same problem with iOS devices. I have a few HLG files and have to play them back with the app built into my TV.

Unfortunately at the moment there are different competing standards for HDR
HDR10 is the basic standard and all HDR certified devices should support it
DOLBY VISION is the much improved version (but also data heavy) by Dolby Labs. Since it’s not free not all TV/players support it.
HDR10+ is the Samsung version, better then the basic but still inferior to DV. It’s royalty free.
HLG by BBC & NHK is only used for TV transmission since the only advantage is the direct compatibility with old SDR TVs with less data transmitted Basically is useless.

The real battle is between Dolby Vision and HDR10+ and the battlefield is the availability of content encoded in the two competing formats.
The industry didn’t learn the lesson of the old VHS Betamax battle

I have the same problem again now with a recorded live TV show from yesterday. Do you know, if there is a converter to convert the file from HLG to HDR and make it look better on the Apple TV in Infuse?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.