HDR appears washout on non-hdr tv with Apple TV 4K

I have this bright problem as well. My TV is a 4K SDR, since the update 11.3 when I play a HDR movie in Infuse it’s unwatchable ! (No problem with iTunes HDR movies)
The only way to have a decent picture is to set the Apple TV setting in 4K HDR (even if my TV is not) then I can see the movie.
But the quality is not as good as before.
If only we could downgrade TvOS !

Quick update.

Unfortunately based on the feedback we got from Apple, it doesn’t seem like they plan on fixing this on their end. :frowning:

However, we have a fix in progress for this we plan to roll out soon. This will allow you to get correct colors when watching HDR videos when connected to an SDR screen.

2 Likes

Hi James

Any word from Apple on the DTS issue?, could you address that on the other post?

Hi James, I’ve been a happy owner of 2 Apple TV 4K boxes and user of Infuse Pro so far… well until stupidly updating to 11.3. Do you have an ETA for the workaround of this bug? Is it even possible? I’ve asked also the developer of MrMC and the answer was not very encouraging …

So the blame is on Apple for coming out with this update and screwing things up for Infuse…I get the washout video problem and the noise problem on DTS audio after the update…

Funny thing is…everything works perfectly on VLC…so why did I buy Infuse Pro? ??‍♂️

I’ve also tried VLC and although the colors seem correct (HDR–>SDR) I get heavy stuttering even with HW acceleration on. Are you sure is working ok with VLC? For me the same h265 HDR movie is unwatchable on a 1080p TV: in Infuse is overly bright and grainy, on Plex I get a black screen, on VLC heavy stuttering as if HW acceleration is not working and in MrMC only works if “use videotoolbox for 4k HDR” is checked but the colors are washed out (w/o this option checked looks exactly like in Infuse).

VLC works correctly for me…no stuttering on 4K MKV files…only thing is Audio passthrough is not possible as with Infuse Pro

Did you change the network cache?

A fircore employee says above, if you read, that there’s an update coming soon to fix this, just be patient.

The problem is not just with non-hdr TV’s. I have the same problem (“video appears washout”); however, my TV is HDR capable. So it seems to me the problem is something else…

I have a Samsung UN65JS9000 4k TV. My Apple TV 4k is set to match both Dynamic Range and Frame Rate. I am trying to watch a Blu Ray Backup in HDR saved on my local Network Drive.

The problem only started happening after my Apple TV automatically upgraded to the latest tvOS 11.3 over the last few days.

Seems like Apple just released the first developer beta of tvOS 11.4. Hopefully the Infuse team can figure out a fix soon so I can go back to finishing watching my 4k hdr movie.

No problems for me on a 4k HDR Sony TV, colors are as they should be. Only problem is with an 1080p SDR Sony TV where everything is over bright and grainy.

What HDR TV do you have? You’re the first I’ve heard having washed out colours on a HDR TV, HDR is working great on my OLED LG B6.

I have a Samsung UN65JS9000 4k TV. My Apple TV 4k is set to match both Dynamic Range and Frame Rate. I am trying to watch a Blu Ray Backup in HDR saved on my local Network Drive.

The problem only started happening after my Apple TV automatically upgraded to the latest tvOS 11.3 over the last few days.

Seems like Apple just released the first developer beta of tvOS 11.4. Hopefully, the Infuse team can figure out a fix soon so I can go back to finish watching my 4k hdr movie.

We’ve just submitted Infuse 5.6.11 to Apple with a fix for HDR > SDR conversion on 11.3.

See attached before and after…just a slight improvement. :wink:

5 Likes

WOW! Thanks a lot for your quick reaction!

1 Like

OMG, we love you!!

1 Like

Fast & Furious, great job :smiley:

1 Like

Can’t wait to see this in the App Store! While you are on a roll putting awesome into the app, can you just program it to decode Atmos and spit it out to PCM? Who knows how long Apple is going to take before they finally allow it on the Apple TV :slight_smile:

1 Like

So cool to hear that ! Good Job.

(How long does it take usually for apple to validate an update like this one?)

1 Like

@James

Out of curiosity: is this a quick and dirty hack meaning that Apple might broke it again with a new update or is it something that should probably survive in the future? Thanks.