Got a problem with the new update....

OK, i have been having a lot of issues with the old atv and having to re hack the apple tv every 2 weeks… It would constantly freeze up on me and would be extremely slow. So i was excited about the new release of atv. Now i did a factory restore since i was having some issues, did an update then i ran the Atv hack and then the first thing i did was enable usb support. The problem i am having now, and is a major issue with me, is that my external drives subfolders do not work. if i have movies on the drive its ok, but if i have then in subfolders then it shows a file size of 0.00 and will not play(i am organized so this sucks for me). I have even received an error saying my machine was not authorized to play a file… no idea why i am getting that error. Is there a place i can get the old hack from? the new one is too buggy for me and i had no issue with doing factory restores every 2 weeks with the old patch. i even update the nitro tv an i still have the problems…

i also tried to add firefox to the appletv and i was not able to upload anything ot the applicatons folder, no permissions.

hmm, still no reply… well now i lost a crap load of movies and series…

I will explain what happened a little better now that i got everything working again.

What the issue was:
Some how, in my sub-folders on my drive, after the letter f, all my videos got reset to a zero size. There was nothing i could do to recover them… I had to delete them and reinstall aTV…
I am pissed off about this, this was caused by the last update… Everything was fine, i watched a video then did the update(with a restore of the appleTV) and then my videos got set to a file size of zero…

I can’t really blame the development of atv, i have learned my lesson. If you are going ot update make sure nothing is plugged into the appleTV and then run your update… i am lucky it was only 1 drive and not both of my 500 GB drives… i prob lost only 200 GB of videos…

I still can not upload anything to the applications folder, seems permissions is the issue there… Also this release does appear to be more stable even though it still crashes for no reason…

So - I am curious - are you using a USB hub with an external drive attached while you update the software? Cuz for me - i CANNOT have anything else plugged into the ATV while performing an upgrade because there is only 1 USB port. (no USB hub for me)

I wonder if the Admins test their upgrade process with a USB hub attached with external drives attached to that?

Maybe a warning on the NEXT software release - in the documentation saying that all other external devices should be detached from the ATV when upgrading the software… just to be safe. (too late for you, i know…)

Did you unmount the hard drive prior to removing it? If not, it can cause problems like you are describing.

Unmounting can be done by selecting the drive in the DVD (nitoTV) menu and pressing the (<<) left arrow button. It can also be accomplished through the Maintenance (iScripts) menu.

I am using a usb hub. When i installed the Atv Hack i do not use the hub and i only use the usb stick.

As for unmounting the drives. I do not remove the drives. I will watch a few videos then in the morning i will turn it back on and then a few shows will not play, when i ftp in i see the file sizes are set to zero.

This has happened a few times to me now andat first i thought it was me doing something stupid but the past two times i have done noting but turn on my tv and find that my files are now set to a size of zero.

I am using 4 port usb hub, and using 2 500GB WD My Books (the usb only one’s, i found that if you get the ones with the firewire ports the atv will not recognize it)

hope this help.

I just saw the new release is out so i am going ot test this release out now also, i’ll know in a week or two if the problem persist