Frustrating problem adding folders to the Library [Media player]

I’m confused about how Media player manages video folders.

If I browse through my shares and add a folder as a Favorite, it will show up at the top of the screen as a favorite but its contents won’t appear in the Library section unless I put a check mark beside it in the Manage Library section under Settings.

So far, so good. However, if I want a folder’s contents to appear in my Library, but not in my Favorites row (because it clutters things up), I can’t do it. For folders to be scraped into the Library, they have to be added as Favorites. This is a frustrating limitation.

For example, let’s say I have my movie collection spread over three hard drives because it’s large and my hard drives are only 500 GB or 1 TB each. So, I have three movie folders named ‘Movies 1’, 'Movies 2’, and 'Movies 3’. I want all three movie folders to be consolidated as one in the movie section of the Library section of Media player. But, I don’t want the folders (‘Movies 1’, 'Movies 2’, and 'Movies 3’) to appear in the Favorites row because it adds unnecessary clutter and it, frankly, looks stupid. Sadly, this doesn’t appear to be possible.

Is there any chance that this could be fixed in a future release? So folders can be added to the Library without needing to be added to the Favorites section?

So in your case you would actually want to setup a manual share for each folder. This can be done by selecting the ‘Other’ option in the Add Share menu, and specifying a direct path to the folder you want.

E.G.

MyNas.local/Movies 1

Note: Depending on the device you are streaming from you may try using “” if you don’t have any luck with “/”.

Okay, I managed to add individual folders (via AFP) as shares.

In Manage Library, I unchecked the sub-folders under my original share that had been added as Favorites (e.g., Movies 1, Movies 2, Movies 3). I removed all my Favorites except for Library, which is the only thing I want to appear in the top row other than ‘My Files’ and ‘Settings’.

I then put checkmarks beside the individually shared folders and had them scanned for changes. But now my Library is empty. I don’t understand. If I added individual folders as shares and have them auto-scanned, shouldn’t the Library be populated with the media in those individual shares?

In Manage Library, even after scanning, no movies are being found according to Library Settings. But if I browse the individual shares in the Remote section of My Files, I can see the movie files. What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I figured it out. I had to check mark and scan my original share. I was worried that Media Player would add videos I had in other folders that I didn’t want to appear in the Library, but fortunately that didn’t happen.

Thanks for the help, James.

Awesome! Glad you’re up and running.

Hi,
could you be a more specific with this please, so I have the kind of same problem now, I added a 5TB Hard Drive to my Synology DS918+ because space is becoming an issue lately, so I added the Hard Drive to my NAS and created a share for it thats called “New” it has a Movie and Series Folder in it, I want to add the Movie Folder to my already existing “Filme” Share and the Series Folder to my already existing “Serien” Share, how can I do this so all new Movies and Series from this USB Drive will show up in the already existing “Filme” und “Serien” Shares ?

Thx James for a Heads up