Frustrated noob question

Hi all,

I find it extremely frustrating that one can’t find a straight answer about the process of jailbreaking an ATV2. Specifically, there’s no resource I’ve found to tell me what to do with my box that still has OS 4.1.1 (4.1.2) on it. Should I upgrade and then jailbreak? Is it fine to leave it the way it is? Which untethered jailbreak is best? Or does it matter?

I haven’t used my ATV in over a year and now, after the announcement of a new, upgraded version, it’s pretty much “bricked” and worthless for resale. I run a total Ubuntu Linux environment at home with a home-built FreeNAS as a media server, and was planning on getting another WD Live, but now I might as well convert my ATV2 to an XBMC box. But where to start?

Can anyone provide some helpful advice? Be much appreciated.

Cheers.

today apple released 5.0 FW for apple tv

you have to find out if they still signing 4.4.4 firmware

if apple still does, you should quickly use seasonpass to jailbreak

it will also restore to 4.4.4

the window for the 4.4.4 will close soon or maybe it is already closed

so maybe use tinyumbrella or ifaith to see if you can save SHSH for 4.4.4

if you can, then you can create a signed firmware 4.4.4 with your own SHSH blog and restore in your apple tv

if you never done a jailbreak for apple tv or iphone, i recommend ask someone to do it

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I am still just as uncertain about what to do. Specifically:

• Can I jailbreak with my current OS or should I upgrade first (and, if so, to which version)?
  • I don't know what Apple's "signing" means and why it's important.
  • Why do I need the other tools you mentioned?

I don’t know anyone close by who has done this and can walk me through it, which is why I am reaching out to this forum. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it doesn’t appear to be that difficult a procedure. I am just looking for some clear, plain-language advice about first steps.

Cheers.

Well lets start of by explaining what signing means in the world of Apple. In an attempt to prevent users from using outdated software (because Apple wants everyone to use the same and be up to date) they will sign their iOS software. While the iOS software is being signed you are free to restore it as often as you would like. After Apple has released a new iOS version and it has been out to the public for awhile they will stop signing the old software which means unless you have specific tools and information backed up you will not be able to restore the older version.

Attempting to jailbreak the current iOS firmware (as in the one you are on) is tricky and a convoluted process and may not work. Also iOS 4.4.4 provides many added benefits that you just wouldn’t have in your current iOS. First things first though. You said you are running a complete *nix environment. Do you have access to any Windows/Mac based computer?

Thank you very much for that explanation. I might have gone ahead with some instructions I’ve found elsewhere and completely bricked my device as a result. Yes, I am happily on a completely *nix setup; however, I have also recently installed VirtualBox on an Ubuntu desktop and I am running WinXP as a guest OS, which means I can install iTunes and any other Windows application. (It’s an older computer that probably wouldn’t support an OS X guest.)

I don’t think the jailbreak will work in a virtual environment and there also isn’t a *nix equivalent of Seas0nPass. If you connect the Apple TV to the computer does iTunes recognize it in the guest environment?

What country do you live in?

Unfortunately, I’m not at my home computer at the moment and won’t be able to test anything until after work. In any case, if necessary I can use another PC or Mac.

I’m in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (EST).

Quick question, right now can i still Jailbreak an atv if its on 4.4.4 using seas0npass?..my mate was going to drop his off tonight?

I looked on Kijiji and didn’t see anyone who happens to do it. Check to see when you get home if the guest O/S picks it up. If not send me a PM on here as there is another option.

Cheers

You would have to try. I did one on Monday and it was fine.

I tried to jailbreak a new ATV 2 and it won’t pass apple checks, just keep getting the 1394

matty, I sent you a PM.

It appears that Apple may have stopped the signing of 4.4.4.

I’ve been trying to get my head around this entire subject, reading a lot, and think it has finally sunk in. I am free to keep using my now-outdated iOS and can, of course, upgrade any time. The trouble is when I want or need to restore my system (for whatever reason; not sure why), at which point Apple’s signature servers come into play. 

In other words, earlier in the week I could have upgraded to and restored 4.4.4 using SeasOnPass for an untethered jailbreak, but now that Apple has stopped signing 4.4.4 (and presumably any earlier versions) I can only stay with the iOS I have now or upgrade to the iOS released the other day (the “latest and greatest”). And that means like a lot of other people I’m stuck until such time as a new untethered jailbreak is released. Correct?

Or is there another trick available?

In other words, earlier in the week I could have upgraded to and restored 4.4.4 using SeasOnPass for an untethered jailbreak, but now that Apple has stopped signing 4.4.4 (and presumably any earlier versions) I can only stay with the iOS I have now or upgrade to the iOS released the other day (the “latest and greatest”). And that means like a lot of other people I’m stuck until such time as a new untethered jailbreak is released. Correct?

Or is there another trick available? [/quote]

There is a potential trick that would allow you to stay on the current iOS you are on (potentially). That is something I figured out and have posted about it in this thread: http://forum.firecore.com/topic/7095.

Now you’re pretty much on track with everything. If you want to try running 4.4.4 you can download the IPSW and try and restore it within iTunes. If it gives you error 3194 they have stopped signing it.

Is there a way to upgrade to 4.3 and not 4.4 (or 5.1)? I’m asking because like the poster in the link you sent, I am doing all this to install XBMC, which recommends 4.3 or under. I’m also wondering if with 4.3 I could then save my SHSH blobs with iFaith (or TinyUmbrella, as explained at http://support.firecore.com/entries/359097) and then use SeasOnPass Signature Magic.

(Yesterday, I wouldn’t have understood a word of what I just asked. Funny.)