Freezing on Apple TV 4K

When watching a show streamed from Jellyfin (or Plex and Emby)) using Infuse 6 Pro the app will freeze from 2 minutes to 6 minutes into the show. It will not restart. I was able to watch a full show with a web browser.

Apple TV 4K Model A1842 (64GB), TVOS 13.4.8 (17M61)
Infuse Pro 6.4.9
Jellyfin 10.6.4 (Windows Server 2019, 8GB Ram, 6 Cores in Hyper-V on a Ryzen 9 3950X running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.

Both the apple TV and Jellyfin server are attached to the network with Gigabit ethernet cable. I did attempt to go to the hdr samples web page referenced in other posts, but the download links are giving 404 errors.

Welcome to the forum!

You mentioned HDR samples, is it only on HDR content that you’re seeing this issue? Can you play other types of files ok?

no, all file will freeze. The 4k files freeze quicker than the others types.

oh, and i performed a speed test and the results were 900+ mbs.

So does HDR have any impact on it or is it just being 4K that makes it faster to freeze? Does 4K SDR take longer?

Also have you tried connecting to the server via say an SMB share instead of the Plex or Jellyfin or Emby?

It seems higher quality files freeze faster. I am watching a 480p show now. It freezes after 10 or 15 minutes. If i back it up 10 seconds it will play for a while and then freeze again.

I have not tried that. I will when this show is over. I will try with my 4k movie.

I attached an SMB share to Infuse and it appears to be working. It speed tested at about 186 mbs where Jellyfin tested at 900+. One interesting thing to note, Infuse froze with emby also, but the emby client did not freeze. Also, when watching the network adapter with Jellyfin, it was pushing 1.5vbs when playing, using SMB, about 85mbs. I would perfer to use Jellyfin. Any insight as to what might be going on?

I noticed when I went to pause using SMB, Infuse had cached about 1/2 the movie and with Jellyfin it does not appear to do this. I tried Legacy and auto cache. In legacy mode, the network adapter is pushing more data when playing with jellyfin than auto mode. It seems playing better in Legacy cache mode, but not caching as far ahead as SMB mode. Legacy mode is still freezing, too.

When using a web browser to Jellyfin to view the same 4k film, there is no pausing and the network interface is pushing 17Mbs, SMB was pushing about 85Mbs when using infuse and using jellyfin with Infuse was pushing about 1.5 Mbs and freezing.

Update: Tried jellyfin native client on iOS (my phone) and it worked fine, also.

That data rate appears to be normal. SMB will take the original file into the apple tv, and decode in the apple tv so 85mbps seems about right. When watching Jellyfin in a browser, it’s most likely transcoding it down to a smaller file size format and 17mbps sounds normal.

but the 1.5 or so through infuse does not seem right.

If this happens again, please send in a report from your Apple TV (Infuse > Settings > Submit Diagnostics) and post the 5 digit code here so we can investigate.

The five digit diag code is N6ZX1. Also submitted to hello@ address from the screen.