folder names or file names

Hi,

on my server file names rarely indicate what movie it is, but my folder names always do. I think I’m not unique with this since filenames sometimes needs to be intact (for seeding, dupe checking etc)
Would it be possible to add a fallback to folder names when fetching meta data, or add an option for it in settings?

BR

2 Likes

This discussion is relevant to you: Ambiguous metadata fetching

Like you, I want improved metadata matching. As mentioned in that discussion, Plex uses directories first, and falls back to filenames if the directory did not provide enough information to ascertain a match. Infuse’s approach is especially problematic for matching episodes of a TV show; the parent directories are essential to accurate matching. The whole thing should not fall over because of it. As mentioned, I’ve got 3k+ items unmatched, despite their parent directories being very accurate, and even the filenames of these items being accurate as well, in terms of numbering its season and episode numbers, but because they do not contain the actual name of the show, Infuse falls over. The matching is very inflexible and rigid.

While we’re on the subject, another really problematic matching algorithm is with movies as well, and specifically related to the year. The MovieDB’s years are often different from IMDB and RT, and it’s likely because it’s managed by a community of members who can change them according to their preferred interpretation. This means that even if the filename of a movie clearly indicates the name of the movie, for example, “Movie Name (2001),” but TMDB has “Movie Name (2002),” not only will it not match, but it won’t even display it as an option to choose from when editing metadata. That means I need to type the whole name of the movie, just to get the suggestions, which will then show “Movie Name (2002)” and any other movie with the same name and different year. Infuse should provide suggestions regardless of the year, and let us choose from all of them from the beginning. The way it behaves tells me that it was not developed to be very open to nuances, and has a very minimal amount of work dedicated to it. Explicit matching is too inflexible and does not work, practically speaking.