Flash Player on Firefox

I have finally got Firefox running perfectly on my ATV. Now can anyone tell me how to get Adobe Flash player running on websites??

Did you happen to follow the steps here yet? http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_Flash

Hi, thanks for your reply. No I have not yet followed this and perhaps this is my error. I have been installing Flash using the NitoTV option and also using a script. Both of these ran fine and NitoTV tells me Flash is already installed. Still Firefox will not play any Flash content on BBC or Youtube.

What is confusing me is that Youtube runs fine from the ATV original menu - does this not mean that Flash must be installed and if so, why cant Firefox use it.

I suppose I am just going to have to get hold of the files quoted in the procedure you sent me (I am running leopard)

Cheers

Andrew

PM sent. As for YouTube, that runs using the h.264 codec and not flash. Google transcoded all their videos to allow Apple TV and iPod/iPhone playback. Yes Apple has that much power. :sunglasses:

Hi, I started from scratch and I still have the same issue - firefox on the bbc and youtube will not play video. Is there a way in which to check the forefox preferences when running within the atv. I am wondering if it is just not set to play flash content?

Andrew

OK, so I found the menus hidden at the top of the browser window and made sure pop-ups were not blocked and such but it will still not play Youtube and BBC content within Firefox. I get a blank space where the video window would normally be. No error messages or warnings just a blank area surrounded by the normal site content. This is driving me crazy. I am able to watch BBC tv through Foxy Proxy on my iMac without a problem and all I am trying to do is emulate the iMac config on the ATV.

As ever, any input will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Andrew

I followed the steps outlined at http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_Flash
I even factory restored, updated, and reinstalled atvFlash and then went through these instructions again but still nothing! Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong? I extracted the CoreAudioKit.framework folder using Pacifist (from my OSX Tiger DVD), I transfered it using Cyberduck, and went to Maintenance/Install Flash on my appletv’s menu. After all that it says Flash Installed but there is still no Flash video in Firefox and in Couchsurfer I just get those little blue lego blocks with a white question mark on them. Please if anyone can help, I’m pulling out hair trying to get this to work. Watching online video in Firefox on my appletv was the one and only reason I bought atv flash.

fleet: Do you know if you Tiger disc was a PowerPC version of Tiger? If it is a retail disc of Tiger (black DVD with big X on it) then that will not work on the Apple TV. You need a 10.4.x Intel Restore disc.

Hi

I did all the relevant Steps (including the Tiger Framework, etc). But with me the Insaller allready fails. In the var/log/install.log if find the following lines:

May 12 21:55:00 AppleTV /usr/sbin/installer: Starting installation:
May 12 21:55:00 AppleTV /usr/sbin/installer: Preparing volume “OSBoot” for installation
May 12 21:55:00 AppleTV /usr/sbin/installer: Configuring volume “OSBoot”
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV /usr/sbin/installer: Preparing local booted disk
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV /usr/sbin/installer: Create temporary directory “/private/tmp/Adobe Flash Player.pkg.209PMZbku”
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV /usr/sbin/installer: run preflight script for Adobe® Flash® Player
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV : preflight[213]: 2009-05-12 21:55:01.920 CloseFPClients[220] An uncaught exception was raised
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV : preflight[213]:
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV : preflight[213]: 2009-05-12 21:55:01.938 CloseFPClients[220] launch path not accessible
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV : preflight[213]: 2009-05-12 21:55:01.938 CloseFPClients[220] *** Uncaught exception: launch path not accessible
May 12 21:55:01 AppleTV : preflight[213]:
May 12 21:55:03 AppleTV : preflight[213]: /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/Install Flash Player 10 UB/Adobe Flash Player.pkg/Contents/Resources/preflight: line 23: 220 Trace/BPT trap “$1/Contents/Resources/CloseFPClients.app/Contents/MacOS/CloseFPClients”
May 12 21:55:03 AppleTV : preflight[213]:
May 12 21:55:03 AppleTV /usr/sbin/installer: Install failed: The following install step failed: run preflight script for Adobe® Flash® Player

Any Idea?

Thanx

ATV Staff,
Can you please provide some insight as to why Adobe Flash does not work on ATV? I am trying to watch certain videos through Firefox or CouchSurfer (i.e. Survivor show on CBS.com website) and all I get is a blank screen on FF and lego cubes on CS. ATV says its installed/enabled, but still no video. Please respond, for this feature is exactly why I purchased your product. Thank you…

MCINAZ…

ATV Staff,
Resending the question I asked on September 21, 2009. Please reply…

Can you please provide some insight as to why Adobe Flash does not work on ATV? I am trying to watch certain videos through Firefox or CouchSurfer (i.e. Survivor show on CBS.com website) and all I get is a blank screen on FF and lego cubes on CS. ATV says its installed/enabled, but still no video. Please respond, for this feature is exactly why I purchased your product. Thank you…

MCINAZ…

The most likely cause is an improper version of CoreAudioKit.framework. As outlined in the Enable Flash guide, the AppleTV requires an Intel Tiger version of this file to properly display Flash video.
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_Flash

I tried the instructions at http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_Flash but it says “Failed” after it downloads flash and tries to install.

I have exactly the same problem. Followed the instructions to the letter at least twice. Got the latest version of Firefox working but no Flash content will play. Are there any users out there who have been successful in getting flash content to play via firefox ?
Cheers,
cmc

This is a concern to me too, like the other posts I bought ATVFlash yesterday for the exact same reason ie watching BBC Iplayer content on my otherwise useless appleTV. I get the same symptoms… no video just a black or dk grey screen.

If anyone has actually got this working please let me know, so that I don’t waste my time and energy trying to do the impossible, I always assume that it is my limited knowledge and doing something stupid that causes these things to fail!

…ever hopeful.

Simon

The most likely cause of the issue you are experiencing may be related to Adobe Flash not being properly installed. The official guide for enabling Flash can be seen at the link below. Please note: An Intel Tiger version of CoreAudioKit.framework is required to enable Adobe Flash on the AppleTV.

http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Enable_Flash

I have the same problem. Installed coreaudiokit, but still no go.

-Update- I thought I already posted this but I don’t see it.
I guess I was using the PPC coreaudiokit although I thought I had the Intel one. Anyway, I tried again with one that was definitely from 10.4 Intel and it worked. Tested on both couch surfer and firefox without issue.

Thank you, I see what I am missing now, I bought my IMac with Leopard installed and so have no access to Tiger software, if anyone can help then please email me on simonfe@live.com

Unfortunately this is what I bought ATVFlash for so without this feature my apple TV goes back to gathering dust as an ornament and my spend on ATVFlash is wasted!

Still hopeful…

I updated to version 4 and Flash isn’t working in Firefox. Are the instructions still accurate re: using the Tiger version of CoreAudioKitframework? Or will the Snow Leopard version work?

Yes unfortunately the Tiger files are still required even on the 3.0 AppleTV software.