Finally realize and sad about it that cellular data 4g lte (maybe not even 5g) will ever be good enough to never get any buffering when video streaming

Especially not while moving in a train or car.

Talking about large 4k media and videos. Not 1080p.

I know I know what you all will say. What are you doing playing 4k on a tablet and such a small screen. Don’t care want the best quality.

Will there ever be a way around this limitation ? Buffering.

Any new technology in video players that stream, etc ?

Hope so one day.

Download it to the tablet before you leave home?

1 Like

Well you would need to average at least 120Mbps for 4K rips. So probably won’t see that at all on 4G. 5G you could but you will have to have a good signal. 5G, similar to 5GHz wifi has a faster speed but much lower range, so traveling is going to make it hard for sure. You hit a pocket where it skips to LTE and you will definitely be buffering. Plus you need to make sure the upload side of things can deliver fairly quickly as well. I won’t say it is impossible, but a lot of things need to work together to make it happen. As more and more people get on 5G the speeds will start slowing down unless they can upgrade the towers fast enough.

Maybe you try h265 which is much smaller for the same „quality“ and resolution.
I‘m able to stream 4K h265 from my home (40k upload) to my mobile devices over 4g/5g without buffering.

If they are 4K UHD rips then those are already h265.

The final nail in the coffin for me as far as Plex is concerned.
Two hours with the Plex option to do similar and pray it worked (by the time I get to work).
10 minutes in Infuse KNOWING it worked.
I celebrated the fact with a purchase of on iPad Air.

Anyway around that on 4g lte with some kind of new player buffer technology or not really?

I mean you can pause and let it buffer for a while but that will be limited to memory and/or disk space. So you would need to have plenty of that to get you going. Otherwise not much you can do without re-encoding to a lower quality

Ok thank you.

You know what it is weird.

I got a speed result when out and about of 4g lte of 150 Mbps to 210 Mbps in a certain location on my AT&T Elite (Now Plus I think it is called) cellular plan but it still buffers. Weird.

Any way to figure out why ?

Should I try a fast.com test too ?

AT&T allows 4k streaming supposedly on their highest cellular plan which I have.

Also even if I could get 2 TB of content on a iPad Pro 2 TB to play content only locally how would I go about doing it easily ?

There is no way I know of making a iPad storage space as a drive on windows.

Unless I am wrong ?

Do a speed test within infuse instead of just an internet one. That gives you the most accurate speeds during playback.

I don’t know about windows but you used to be able to connect iOS devices to iTunes and load videos there then copy them into infuse. But not sure if that would be any faster than copying them at home over WiFi.

Thanks.

Do you know what the fastest/most reliable protocol for streaming video is ?