After many bad words, I finally got the new version of ATV flash to load on my Apple TV.
I was having the same problem as a lot of people where it would just hang up with a white apple logo stuck on the screen.
Here’s what I did…
- bought a new 4GB flash drive
- erased every old ATV file on my computer that I could find
- downloaded the new ATV Flash 4 file from the website (and let it download the Apple data file as well)
- reset my apple TV to the factory out-of-the-box configuration by pressing Menu and “-” together.
- updated my apple TV to the latest 3.0.1 software from apple
- installed the ATV flash drive on the apple TV to load the ATV 4.0.1 software
The down side is that I had to re-sync all 2,500 items from my PC after I got the damned thing up and running.
I installed the Smart Installer, but that seems to do absolutely SQUAT.
My Boxee/XMBC menu item simply disappeared and I can’t get it back. Dammit!
[update: found a post telling me how to get it back. that worked]
The F-in USB keyboard and mouse don’t work any longer. No idea how to fix that.
[update: ran the nito Smart Installer umpteen times with no success. still no keyboard/mouse.]
[update: the keyboard/mouse work on Boxee, just not on the Apple applications… it used to work on the search boxes of the Apple applications, but no more.]
At least after 4 days of having no Apple TV I finally have it back where it will at least do the APPLE stuff and play my tunes. All of this other add-on crap just seems to require a PhD… and I’m not sure I have the patience for that.