File caching (movie preloading)

Hi,

how much data Infuse preload, when I start play movie? Why Infuse cannot cache whole file, or big part, that can be stored to aTV memmory? If I use NAS, where I have movie, whole time of watching I hearing disk drives. I can spin-down drive, but then, when Infuse start loading next data, It is few seconds to drive start.

Peter

The Apple TV is a streaming-only device, and unfortunately caching full movies on the device is outside of how Apple intends for the device to be used.

FWIW, NAS drives are meant to be powered on 24/7, and available for devices to stream from. Can I ask why you prefer to keep yours off/sleeping?

Hi,

its because of noise. NAS can work 24/7, but for HDD its not good, power consumption is next problem, thats why NAS servers have sleep functions.

Thanks.

Fair enough, but allowing the NAS to be active while watching a video seems reasonable, no?

Try to watch movie at night;) And if I know, NAS like Synology, or “NAS” that can you use on routers like Asus, Synology, Turris…have only function, that send drive(s) to sleep still, not only at night, or while watching. So, if you set sleep time to 2min and while watching, I have buffered 3mins of video (and maybe, it is no about mins for video, but size and then it can be 1min, or 5min), so… :slight_smile: I know, it is “hard core”, but Kodi have functions and settings for better caching and preloading.

Firecore, I urge you to reconsider… now we have AppleTVs that have 64Gb of onboard storage; while I understand you can not “lock” a cached file and thus you can’t guarantee your users that the TvOS won’t delete it, in general it’s very likely a cached file will stick.
VLC does it, for one. You can upload a file to VLC (via their “remote streaming” function) and it will stay there unless the TvOS decides to delete it for some reason.
Once the file is in the AppleTV (VLC’s cache space), you can select it from VLC’s horrible interfase, play it, and going back and forth the file is, as expected for a local file, immediate and fast. But again, VLC’s interface is horrible and so lacking compared to INFUSE.

The ideal usage scenario, one of many examples: I’ll go to the beach house, and want to watch some movies there; ideally I just preload the movies in my AppleTV (Infuse cache), and take my AppleTV and the projector. Otherwise, (no Infuse cache) I’d have to take my laptop and my external HDD too. And even a wireless router if I don’t have WiFi at the beach house. Quite a load.

In such a senario I would suggest you look at a device such as an Airstash, which takes an SD card and provides a WiFi direct connection which you can share files on the SD card to the ATV via SMB. Such devices are small enough to fit in your pocket and provide all the functionality that you require … just need to have a usb power source available for long term streaming use, which I assume you would probably have with you to charge any phone/tablet you also take with you.

I doubt such device will be able to stream a large bitrate.
And still, one more device to carry, however small… while those 64Gb in the AppleTV sit there unused.
Obviously Apple, while not sanctioning this as “the intended way to be used”, doesn’t forbid it either, otherwise VLC would have been pulled from the TvOS store.
Furthermore, apps are allowed to have storage space (not only cache); so I don’t know if there’s a policy regarding TvOS as opposed to iOS, saying that you can’t store videos in the storage space, or it’s just that Firecore is being excessively cautious. In any event, if app storage space is off-limits, then using cache space would by no means be forbidden, and indeed caching a full file does bring benefits for the user even when streaming, since seeking is so fast. Being able to play a fully-cached file in the absence of a streaming source would just be the extra mile for a wonderful product.

To be fair, using internal storage (that cannot be changed) as cache is sometimes problem, because of wear level. On 64GB it is better, on 32GB version, if you play many movies and videos, it can be problem (but still it is in years, I mean). Thats, why RAM is better.

It’s something we considered, and if we were guaranteed persistent storage may have been a feature we added in the original version. But tvOS is set up in such a way that it just isn’t a good fit.

FWIW, Apple’s official guidelines say:

“…every app developed for the new Apple TV must be able to store data in iCloud and retrieve it in a way that provides a great customer experience.”

For example, say you get your Apple TV loaded up, and head out to the beach house for the weekend. While you’re there, someone uses the Apple TV for something other than Infuse. During that time, tvOS notices your device is getting a little bit full and decides to give the info you have stored in Infuse, including your synced videos, the heave-ho. Your plans for the evening are ruined, you are left frustrated, and would most likely be left unhappy with Infuse - even if it was tvOS that did the damage.

Personally, I think a better option would be to pick up some sort of wireless hard drive. These are able to create their own wireless network so the Apple TV could connect directly to it without having to have a computer or router present. SanDisk and AirStash are some good, super-portable options (http://amzn.to/2Frdtv1), while WD and Seagate have more robust, higher-capacity options (http://amzn.to/2EOqimg).

I mean, that we are talking about other problem, caching movie and storing data is not same. Next problem, why better caching (I still dont know, how now caching work in Infuse) is, that if each 1min you cache 1min, and NAS or LAN, or WiFi is at that time under load, it freeze movie.

Right totally separate issues - I was just trying to provide some background to answer his question. :slight_smile:

With regard to your question, it sounds like you have some pretty aggressive sleep settings in place on your NAS. Are you able to bump these up slightly to avoid future issues?

Hi,

I dont have sleeping at this time :wink: Bigest problem for me now is, that when I watch movies/TV series and in same time I send to samba server few GB of data a samba server is in full load and at same time Infuse start loading new data, it is few seconds of freezing. Because of big files (20GB, or so), it can be 10 and more minutes until whole data is saved, so I can see few freeze until saving si done. Problem is in start of watching too, because while saving data to samba server, it is sometimes 5-30 seconds, until movie start (based on file quality).

Thanks.