Feature Request - Add Support for Skip Intro for Plex

Plex has just added support for “skip intro” on the server side.

I would like to open a feature request that Infuse support that feature by calling the server to determine what iframe or timestamp plex has determined to be the start of the show after the intro.

Thanks for this awesome app!

12 Likes

+1

That would be really nice!

Where is Plex getting their info? Maybe we can just use that same API so that infuse can use it with everyone, not just for Plex users

Sadly (or maybe not so sadly depending on how it evolves) this is a function of Plex not an API from another source.

I see. Seems pretty smart, the new episodes always have this available. Maybe we can at least get Siri updated to skip ahead specific amount of time instead of just 10 seconds. Another option would be to have theTVDB had a data entry for this. Default each season then maybe per episode.

“Hey Siri, skip ahead to the good part!” :clown_face:

1 Like

Let’s hope @james can figure out if Infuse can use the intro detection markers the Plex server has analysed.

oh yes +1

+1 For me as well

This feature would be awesome!

+1 but could also add for people who don’t use plex.

+1
Would be nice

There are basically two ways to achieve this:

1. having a chapter marker that define the intro. Most of my shows have it so “Skip Intro” it already available both on Plex and Infuse. Basically you just skip a chapter

2. what Plex announced is quite different and requires a (paid) Plex Pass. It also requires that the server analyses all the files in advance and by comparing different episodes audio estimates where the intro can be.
    I think it’s quite difficult for Infuse to support this, unless James develops its own algorithm to do so.
    But since Infuse is not a Media Server, there would be still the ATV limitation of only allowing (very) limited background processing when the app is closed.

The request is to add support for the plex feature, not rewrite the feature. Presumably, the timestamp that plex has determined as the start and end of the intro is available via an API request (I haven’t done the research to know what that actually might look like). Infuse shouldn’t be reinventing this wheel since plex already does this. Infuse should be asking plex what it’s already determined.

I just want to make sure we’re not muddying the waters thinking this request is to perform extra processing on the video from the player.

3 Likes

+1

Please add this to the top of the upcoming feature list.

I was wondering if Infuse will eventually take advantage of Plex’s new feature that allows players to skip intro on TV shows. Since Plex writes this info to the XML metadata of each episode, it should be possible. I’m primarily using the tvOS app.

2 Likes

The two scenarios you’re referring to are one in the same. When Plex analyzes for intro’s in this new feature, it writes the intro relative timestamps to the metadata of the TV show. So Infuse can consume this the same way it consumes chapter info, ostensibly. Plex adds this when media is added to the library, so it would already be there by the time Infuse scans and detects the new media, as well.

I disagree that it would be hard for Infuse to leverage this information, if Infuse already supports reading other chapter-esque metadata from the Plex API.

Let me give this also a +1
Any word from developers??

+1

Would like this also if its possible.

I guess that since it’s a PlexPass (PAID) option in Plex (both server and player must have a Pass), it’s not so straightforward for Infuse to implement it.
Unless of course Infuse reaches an agreement with Plex

They would already have to handle the case where there are no intro markers since it’s entirely possible for a show to not have them if plex hasn’t analyzed it yet or for whatever reason.

So if someone does not have plex pass and none of their tv shows have markers, obviously this feature wouldn’t be usable by them. But that’s perfectly fine.

I.e. use the markers if they’re there.