External HD Compatibility List

It would really be nice if there was a list of External Hard Drives that are known to work with aTV. I purchases a Hitachi SimpleDrive 2 TB drive and it is not recognized by aTV even after I formatted it as FAT32. I’ve tried everything to get it to work and nothing does. I plugged in my Western Digital “MyBook” 500 GB drive and it worked just fine! The problem is that it is not big enough for my needs. I need a 2 TB drive. Can someone please suggest a 2 TB drive that is known to work with the aTV? I plan to take my Hitachi drive back to the store today and exchange it for a Seagate and try that. Does anyone know if that will work?

Try formatting in HFS+.

OK. How do I do that on a PC? I don’t have a mac.

FAT32 should work just fine.
http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=Troubleshooting#AppleTV_is_Not_Recognizing_My_External_Drive

Yes. It should. But it doesn’t. Not with this drive. I formatted it as FAT32 using these exact instructions and it doesn’t work. It won’t recognize the drive. Any other suggestions?

Linux and GParted can do that for you. GParted comes as a boot image, but I do not know for sure if it contains the HFS/parts on the boot cd.