External Hard Drives

The only reason I want to use this product is if I can directly connect external hard drives. Will I be able to do that? Streaming is a horrible solution and directly connecting externals is the only feasible way for serious users.

I have the same question.  1.  Is there a cable to connect the external drive to the miniUSB port?  2.  When I tried to connect the hdmi cable and the mimi usb cable, there is not enough room to plug in both at the same time.  Any solutions?  PLease help

I shaved some of the plastic off my micro USB cord so that it would fit. Used a knife and it worked great. I bought this (www.amazon.com/USB-Gender-Changer-Female/dp/B000BSN4UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298664766&sr=8-1) to connect my hard drive to the micro usb cable. Now all I need to figure out is if the apple tv will work with external hard drives at all.

[quote="sprtplyr999"]

The only reason I want to use this product is if I can directly connect external hard drives. Will I be able to do that? Streaming is a horrible solution and directly connecting externals is the only feasible way for serious users.

[/quote]

Not sure why you think streaming is horrible.  With an 8G buffer, and 100M wifi, you *might* get a small glitch in your playback.  You might try hardwiring the AppleTV to a siwtch and hooking your source there.

That being said, you cannot cannot cannot cannot use the USB port to power up an external drive.  Not yet, anyway.

The microUSB port on the aTB2 does not work in host mode.

I have a 1tb NAS hard drive connected to my router via ethernet and that streams to my aTV2 via an ethernet cable from my router.  Also works via WiFi.

Whenever I have new movies I just transfer them from my MacBook Pro to my NAS drive via WiFi and then the next time I turn on my aTV2 with aTVFlash Black they appear.

Incidentally, there are no issues with buffering 1080p HD videos on the aTV2’s 10BASE-T ethernet port… nor over my WiFi (g) network, but I just have the aTV2 connected via ethernet to keep the WiFi air clear as I use the 1tb NAS drive as my Apple Time Capsule.

So if I connect my hard drive directly to the jailbroken appleTV2 with a miniUSB I will have access to all my files such as DVD’s, pics etc without any further configuration?

How do I acccess it once apple TV is on? Under which tab (xbmc etc)

Currently external hard drives cannot be used on the 2nd gen (black) AppleTV. Sorry.