Hard drive can’t be seen
Hmm, sorry to hear about your trouble. I’d love to help get you back on track, so if you can post your ticket number I can look and try and find out what happened.
ticket #43305. If you’re able to help me, I’ll be extremely grateful. After adding the share in the media player on the atv, it can find and read all of the files on my desktop except for my external hard drive and I do have home sharing on in itunes as well as file sharing using afp and smb on with my external drive added as option to read off of.
Ok, here are a few things you may want to check.
- External drive is being shared as described here: http://support.firecore.com/entries/20655156-Enable-File-Sharing-on-a-Mac-PC
- Username and password are being entered on Apple TV. The easiest thing would be to enter an Admin's username and password as this will give you access to everything on your Mac, but you can also enter a regular user's login details assuming they have access to the shared drive.
- Lastly, I assume you're streaming via AFP? If not, this is the preferred method when streaming from a Mac.
Give that a try and let me know how it goes.
i tried both as an admin and regular login with afp sharing on and using the media player, I can see everything on the computer except for the external hard drive.
Ok, two other things you can try.
- After sharing the external drive on your Mac (via System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing list) relaunch the Apple TV through the Maintenance > Settings menu. Sometimes this will help newly 'shared' shares appear correctly on the Apple TV.
- If that doesn't work, you may try setting up a direct NFS based share for the external drive. Details on setting up NFS and sharing your external drive can be found here http://support.firecore.com/entries/20631337 The 2nd part of that guide applies to the ATV1, but since you're using the ATV2 you'll just want to setup a new NFS share through the Media > Settings > Manage Shares menu like before.
The NFS Enabler stopped working after the update of Yosemite. Is there something similar I could use? I was using AFP but that stopped working after the update of Yosemite. I read the comments on your site and cleared two Apple TV2s and jail broke them. Infuse now names my WD My Book as My Book (1). I can access it but the folder is empty. It has about 1000 movies.
I realize that the path taken is not working. When I add a share is there a way to change how Infuse labels the hard drive? I’m attaching a screen shot from the Apple TV2. I had more screen shots but I would exceed 1MB.
Thank you for any assistance.