External display HDR banding issue

I’m having an issue with the Infuse mac app on my M1 Air, using an LG C1 as an external display.

I’ve got it connected through a USB C to HDMI cable, and whilst there are issues having it output in HDR normally (It doesn’t work in day to day use at all well - the banding is atrocious), simply switching to HDR mode to view HDR content through YouTube or QuickTime works perfectly fine.

But playing HDR videos in Infuse, the banding makes a reappearance. See the attached image for an example.

Is there any way to fix this or is it just a problem with how Apple handles HDR?

@robtreadway if you’re not already, try a higher bandwidth cable like the following example:

USB C to HDMI Cable [8K, 48Gbps], Maxonar Type C to HDMI 2.1 Adapter Cord, 8K@30Hz, 4K@120Hz, HDR, [Thunderbolt 4/3, USB 4 Compatible] for iMac, MacBook Pro/Air M1 2021, iPad Pro, Surface Pro, 6ft https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09MCXCWTQ/

I don’t think it’s the cable as HDR videos from other sources like YouTube or Apple TV play fine.

For what its worth, the cable in use is this one.

From reading around it seems like there are just known issues with Macs outputting HDR via HDMI. Unfortunately no DisplayPort on the C1 so can’t use that instead, which appears to work infinitely better.