Experiences with WD My Passport Wireless or Seagate Wireless Plus?

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with wirelessly playing video content from either a WD My Passport Wireless or a Seagate Wireless Plus drive? Can Infuse easily connect and directly play content through WiFi from these devices, or does one need to use the bundled applications to ‘bridge’ the content to inFuse using the sharing sheet?

Thanks to all who can provide any insight in this :slight_smile:

Infuse supports streaming via SMB, FTP/SFTP, UPnP/DLNA, and WebDAV - so Infuse should be able to stream directly from that drive without having to use a separate app.

hi there james we know that infuse can stream via ftp but how with the seagate wireless plus how? a tutorial perhaps thanks

Hi Jefferson, apologies for butting in, but in the end I decided to buy the SG Wireless Plus drive (mainly because most reviews quoted it as having a better battery life than the WD, and I cared more about that than the wider IEEE 802.11n spectrum of the latter), so I can tell you from experience that the usage of Infuse with this drive is completely seamless. The WP drive supports UPnP/DLNA, so it should just show up in your library window automatically, from where you can then connect and stream movies as you please.

hi there in fact it does, it does show up in infuse app but i can’t get myself in it suppose to put a user put nothing works need to know how to get me in using any protocol but one the works if you have one of this could you try and send at least a screenshot or something pleaseeee

Well, I can’t remember having to put in any credentials when I set up Infuse with my WP, but you should probably check the security settings on the drive itself (don’t have it here with me so can’t make screenshots). Connect directly to the drive’s WiFi, go to seagatewireless.com in a browser and you should end up at the drive’s internal web interface where you can change security settings and the like.

i have tried everything, none have worked, can i ask you to help me with this as soon as you have it with you so you could show me how? perhaps, i am giving up this :frowning: thanks in advance (ftp i wish)

That may be a while as our drive is back home with my family and I’m abroad for a couple of months. I’m not sure what more I could show you though…
If you connect the drive to your computer through USB there should be a pdf of the manual on there, which explains how to access the internal web page and security settings of the drive. I can tell you already however that the WP does not support FTP access. If you want that you’ll have to install a custom firmware (http://www.hackwifidrive.com/). I don’t use this hack myself though, so peruse at your own discretion.

Alternatively you could try this without the need of installing a custom firmware, but you’ll need access to, and be comfortable with, a *nix CLI:

http://nalamat.ir/blog/ftp-server-on-seagate-wireless-plus/

i have seen those pages and i tried the ftp one but i couldn’t digest how to? need step by step guide i guess, thanks any way

Hi guy, I am using WD mypassport wireless pro 2T doing exactly what you want, its working fine with the ipad while on plane and my vacation.
I am not sure how seagate one working but I guess the step is same, once you connected you device and the hard drive on same network:
1.) Add Files
2.) via Network Share
3.) Protocol use “SMB” , this is the basic and most common protocol that you HD should support
4.) double check your HD’s ip user name and pw and fill in

done! you new connection should show on the home screen.

PS. I using both webdav to connect back to my home’s NAS also

hi there thanks for your interest but i have done that i used my hd wireless drive name and my password which i guess is the same as the one needed to connected in the first place (or is there another one) but doesn’t work, thanks for your time

I really like the sound of these drives. So, it has 802.11A - but what does that mean in basic terms? What size files are you streaming?

Could be amazing for long car journeys with kids!

WD mypassport pro got 5hz AC wifi connection… that means…a ultra fast connection…

It’s totally fine to stream a 10gb file smoothly

Wow. Sold!

Here’s a link showing the drives that are currently on the market: https://www.cnet.com/topics/storage/best-hard-drives-and-storage/best-mobile-wireless-drives/ . (I know, I know, it’s cnet, but still…).

The big two on the market are the Seagate Wireless Plus and the WD MyPassport Wireless. Both have their pro’s and cons, but if you want to mainly use them for streaming video you need to consider the following:

• The WD uses a higher bandwidth implementation of 802.11n (not entirely that it supports the AC protocol) which will allow more simultaneous connections (I’ve read up to 5-6) and presumably streaming of very high bitrate content, but this is at the expense of battery life. The drive itself is exFAT formatted and should thus be natively supported under OS X 10.7+ and Windows 7+.

• The Wireless Plus also uses 802.11n but at a lower bandwidth, meaning you can at most stream tot 2-3 devices simultaneously and you should probably avoid super high bitrate encodings, but because of this battery life is better compared to the WD. The drive is formatted in NTFS, so it’s natively supported in Windows but you’ll need to install a third party kernel extension (provided with the drive for free in case you haven’t installed your own yet) in OS X to enable writing to NTFS formatted media.

Personally I went for the Wireless Plus as longer battery life was more applicable for my needs (plane travel) and i can always re-encode the rare very high bitrate content that i come across with minimal quality loss by using custom ffmpeg settings, but you should probably use whichever would fit your usage case best. I can for example imagine that using your car’s outlets might make battery life less of a concern.

Apologies, tc1333333 was referring to the new WD My Passport Wireless Pro I see. I have no experience with that one as it’s fairly new, but it does indeed use 802.11AC protocol and thus should have bandwidth to spare. Apparently battery-life is also very good, though the drive is presumably heavier and bulkier than the WD Wireless and the SG Wireless Plus. But again, no personal experience with this one, so I can’t really speak for or against it. :slight_smile:

That’s awesome, man. Very helpful indeed. Thanks.

I have a massive mix of stuff. Some is low bitrate, some is huge. Ideally I want something I can just dump my library onto so maybe the WD is best…

Just to make sure, I’ve played back 6-8 Mbps streams without a problem on the Seagate, but when I say high bitrate I mean 10-bit colour 15+ Mbps media and the like. And a bit off topic, and probably you know this already, but just to avoid any disappointment for whoever follows this topic; be aware that no matter which drive you use, HEVC encoded video (h265) will be a stutter-fest on the majority of smartphones/tablets (including iPhones) as they lack hardware decoders and generally don’t have the processing muscle to decode said codec smoothly.

Yes, have noticed that. Apple TV is really bad too.