DVD subtitles on 5.4 still look bad

Hi,

I was really hoping the 5.4 release would help solve the bad looking subtitles from my DVD rips. They’ve been ripped with AnyDVD (without menus and extras) and later on converted to MKV’s with MakeMKV. They play fine with Infuse - always have - but the subtitles on many of them look really bad. The letters are often quite large and grey with a white (pixelated) border around them (screenshot attached). Unfortunately this didn’t change in this subtitle-focused release.

Any plans on improving these types of subtitles?

LOL, sorry about the upside-down photo :smiley:

DVD subtitles were improved in many cases, but I don’t think we’ve ever seen this particular issue. I’ve attached a sample of how DVD subtitles should appear (the color can be adjusted through the Playback menu). DVD subtiles can vary a bit from title to title, so could you list a few of the titles you are still seeing issues with?

If you’re in the mood to upload a sample it might help us track down what’s going on a bit quicker. https://firecore.com/upload

Sure thing. Just off the top of my head it happens in my rips of “Julie & Julia”, “National Treasure” and “Memoirs of a Geisha”.

Do you have any suggestions on how to create a sample of a DVD rip in a MKV container? I guess Handbrake would also convert it in the process, making it unusable as a sample, right?

You can use the Edit option in MKVtools (http://www.emmgunn.com/mkvtools-home/) to snip out a sample without changing the video/subtitles. Just pick a start and an end time and within a few seconds you’ll have a sample. :slight_smile:

Here you go. I’ve uploaded a sample from “Julie & Julia” as advised.

Thanks, sample received.

Hopefully it’s a quick fix we can included in 5.4.1.

All fixed for 5.4.1 which should be out next week. :slight_smile:

All the DVD rips I mentioned in my previous post are now working infinitely better! Thumbs up :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.