DTS-HD MA, volume soft and low

HDMI to TV’s built-in speaker.

Compared to other audio format, DTS-HD MA audio track volume is very soft and low under the same TV volume setting, I need to set audio boost to 400% in infuse to hear clearly…

Is it common for DTS-HD MA audio?

I’ve never had a problem with any of my DTS movies through my receiver and sound system. Are you sure it’s not a problem with that specific file? Can you try a couple different ones?

Try many DTS-HD MA 5.1 movies, all have the same problem.

Other formats (DTS 5.1, DTS, AAC etc) work just fine.

I am not using receiver, audio output thru TV’s speaker system. I guess receiver will boost audio by itself?

What do you have set for the Apple TV audio settings? Since there is no passthrough either the TV is receiving PCM or Dolby Digital. No DTS of any sort gets sent. Maybe include a picture of the settings plus another of your TV audio settings.

My receiver isn’t doing any sort of boosting to audio. I’m not sure what is happening here.

There are 2 audio settings in Apple TV 4K: audio format and audio mode, both are set to Auto.

I also tried 2 manual audio formats: Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo, same problem.

Reduce loud sounds is off.

Model of TV?

Panasonic P65VT60 (‘65 Plasma)

It appears that there are several settings that may try to automatically adjust levels which may be causing it to be lower volume.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/television/ehelp/tc-pxxvt60_en_ehelp.pdf

Pages 49 through 52 list several options such as A.I. Sound, volume leveler, and sound mode may all be pieces of the puzzle that could cause a difference. Maybe try a reset to factory and turn off all enhancements? Just a starting point.

These options didn’t help.

Later I spent some time to try every DTS-HD MA movies I can find in my NAS, in fact many of them don’t have this problem, sound volume is normal. So I think it is a problem with some files, though I have no idea why’s that so.

In case you are interested, here is a sample that has very low volume.

The.Postcard.Killings.2020.1080p.BluRay.x264-ROVERS

Audio
Language…: English
Channels…: 6 CH
Format…: DTS-HD Master Audio
Bit rate…: 3 163 kb/s

I’d guess that if you have downloaded these off the internet there’s a good chance that the few that are problematic are due to improper encoding. Have you tried encoding from the original disc yourself? I know that takes some time but it may help for those few that are giving you issues.

Don’t complain about the quality when you don’t pay for the movie… :wink:

1 Like