Downscaling

Hello,

I have a Linksys 1900acs router with a external hard drive connected by USB. This acts as my media sever for Infuse 5 on my Apple TV 4. This probably seems like a stupid question but I wondered if downscaling (or any changes to the streamed files) are done. Regarding this, is there any difference between SMB, DNLA and UPNP?

The reason I ask is that there seems to be a reduction in quality in some of my movie files compared to when I had a more sophisticated NAS based set up: however that was also on a smaller and higher quality TV. It is very possible that I’m imagining this but I just wanted to be reassured that if I can access a file then it isn’t possible that it can be changed (downscaled/encoded at lower quality) and that I must be receiving the exact same data from the movie file no matter how its accessed (for instance I don’t expect errors in any Word files that I access no matter how they are accessed over the network).

Thanks for your help and apologies for my poorly worded question. Wish I could say English wasn’t my first language!

Good question!

Infuse in and of itself will not downscale any videos. If you have a 1080p video, Infuse will stream 1080p with the full bitrate.

IIRC, some devices do provide embedded downscaling options, though these are usually limited to their UPnP/DLNA options. If you are able to connect using SMB you can ensure Infuse is accessing the files directly without any changes whatsoever.

Thanks so much for your clear and quick response. Good to know that Infuse does not downscale. And regarding the SMB/DVLA/UPNP that’s kind of what I imagined: SMB, I thought, is simply used for file transfer/access and no other funny business. But DVLA and UPNP are for streaming so I thought one can’t be sure if those protocols aren’t interfering with data on certain devices to aid streaming.

Thanks again for your help.