Dont buy Firecore GP has everything you need

If you are going to buy firecore, well don’t.  Save yourself time and money.  I have worked it up and down, and found that it has nothing you really need unless your into surfing the internet from the ATV.  GP gives you everything you need and more XMBC streams movies in most to all formats, and really that is all most of us are looking for.  Season pass will not work with windows, and there is no future in site of this ever working.  In other words let me be the lesson learned and don’t spend your money on this product!  Thank me later.

you should say.  Do not buy FIRECORE beta product for ATV2.

the original for ATV1 is better.

URA Troll!  :P  Don't waste our time!

Try taking some English classes, it may help your grammar and spelling!

[quote="Infantrod"]

If you are going to buy firecore, well don’t.  Save yourself time and money.  I have worked it up and down, and found that it has nothing you really need unless your into surfing the internet from the ATV.  GP gives you everything you need and more XMBC streams movies in most to all formats, and really that is all most of us are looking for.  Season pass will not work with windows, and there is no future in site of this ever working.  In other words let me be the lesson learned and don’t spend your money on this product!  Thank me later.

[/quote]

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

aTV Flash black for the Apple TV 2 is well worth the price of admission. Joining at the beta stage gets a significant discount on the final release price and It DOES WORK with Windows - I know because the Apple TV 2 is the only Apple product I own. I installed aTV Flash black from a Win XP machine.

The browser capability is not to be sniffed at; Adobe are working on media server technology that will run Flash video on Apple devices. It will do this by recognising the user's device and instead of playing the Flash file it will either pull the same file as HTML5 from the server or convert it to HTML5 server-side and then deliver it. When this happens Couch Surfer will be an awesome addition to Apple TV. At the moment it has lots of rough edges - but it's in beta guys. Things will only get better.

The Firecore Media Player looks like a very user friendly way of accessing video content from the network but I can't try it out yet because, at present, there is no support for Windows shares, only Apple ones. Firecore's Twitter feed says Windows SMB shares will be available in the beta 5 release within a week; I can hardly wait. I'm sure it will be much easier for my wife to access videos this way because she can't get used to XBMC's idiosyncracies.

I also felt Firecore deserved a bit of my hard-earned cash for creating the free software that helped me jailbreak my ATV2 in the first place - Seas0nPass. It creates a custom IPSW file that I can restore later if I have problems. I tried Greenpois0n but it failed 3 times - I couldn't seem to get the timing right - but Seas0nPass worked first time.

And no! I don't work for Firecore. I'm just very appreciative of their software.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  :)

Beta5 will have significant, all-around improvements and will definitely add SMB support as well so our friends using Windows can get in on the action as well.

We're still shooting for a release sometime next week.

As you obviously don't understand the meaning of the term 'Beta' I have provided a helpful link.  Perhaps then you won't be so quick to shoot down software that is still in development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

By using the software in it's current state we are all beta testers.  Firecore relies on use to provide helpful and critical feedback.  Moaning that it's rubbish and a waste of time is not helpful.  Detailing what does and doesn't work properly, or suggesting what features you'd like to see included is helpful.

“it has nothing you really need”

You obviously have no idea about the time and effort it requires to create a good GUI application. I was on the verge of forking XBMC myself to integrate the video section into the menu with a proper Apple TV UI instead of XBMC’s own toolkit, but from app development experience I can tell you that the $20,- aTV Flash has cost me has saved me a multitude of that amount (if I would express my spare time in billable hours, that is).

Now I can see how that integration might not be interesting to you/everyone and that’s your right, but please don’t act as if you are the consumer rights watcher that has to rain on someone else’s parade when you (should) know that you’re apparently not the target audience.

My $0.02

It’s perhaps true that XBMC can do a bit more (for instance, in the UK it has an iPlayer App and a 4oD app I can watch streaming with), but the truth is, for a casual user like me it’s just clunky, complicated and ugly.

Firecore’s product integrates seamlessly with Apple’s simple and elegant interface. Anybody who comes to my house can figure out how to get to my network-shared files on the network hard drive. The only tweak I made to ATVFlashBlack was to edit a plist and rename “media” to “downloads”.  Now on my menu I have Movies, Internet, Browser, Downloads, Settings and “More” (overflow, renamed) - neat, simple, beautiful, powerful.

Worth every cent - and if Adobe ever get round to sorting out a flash workaround (or we manage to get flash running on the Apple TV?) then there’s a world of on-demand to explore too. Bring it on. 

Whats GP?

GP = greenpois0n

Having used most of the jailbreaks over the years on my iPhone 3G/3Gs/4 I can say that seas0npass was by far the most user friendly.  Yes I could of used greenpois0n and manually installed everything but the $19 pre-order of aTV Flash was a HUGE help.  Why would you want to spend the time to SSH into the Apple TV when you could use the remote to auto install Plex or XMBC?  Took less than 5mins to have aTV Flash push the files over and use the TV interface to install Plex.

While aTV Flash (black) does ease the installation of 3rd party plugins such as Plex and XBMC, it will also give you access to a number of plugins that are not available anywhere else (Couch Surfer, Media Player, Maintenance, Last.fm, Weather, and RSS Feeds).

Also keep in mind Seas0nPass is the only jailbreak tool that supports the 4.3+ AppleTV software - and of course it’s free. :)

Does this app support FLAC files yet?

FLAC support is coming soon.

Hi,

Apple TV 2 (Black) Jailbroken using new Seas0nPass and flashed aTV (Black) RC1. Firmware version: 4.3 (2550)

XBMC and working for 2 days works fine and all of sudden when I start XBMC and keep shutdown before its start. All its doing blank screen for 3 to 4 seconds and comes back to Main Menu on ATV.

I did removed XBMC using FireCore Maintenace - Manage Extras - XBMC delete and re-installed and reboot from Maintenace as well as nitoTV and try XBMC and it doesn’t all its doing blank screen for 3 to 4 min. and comes back to Main Menu of aTV. I also removed power source and left it for 10 min. and re apply power and try but same problem.

I did removed XBMC using nitoTV - Install Software from XBMC-ATV2 and re-installed XBMC and reboot and I also power off for 10 min. and plug power back few times. Same problem.

Am I missing any feature installing from Manage Extras or nitoTV?

Please help.

Thanks,
JR

I was using xbmc but ran into buffering problems. xbmc is excellent on the pc but not so much on the apple tv 2 with 1080p videos. THe plugins are awesome on xbmc but when it comes down to video playback atv flash black cant be beat especially with the native gui its simply the best on the apple tv.

ATV Black Flash RC1 is well worth it and very easy to flash.

Cavemen can do it with BlindFolded!

Purchased a new aTV 2nd Gen yesterday, purchased Firecore aTV Flash and have to says its just brilliant.  I’ve able to access all the Movies on my NAS without any issue.  There are a few small quirks, but I’m sure these are in the works and will be addressed / fix soon.

A great product.

Thx

Nev