Dolby vision

There are a few out there, not ISO format but the whole UHD disc, this also retains DV, i can think of Valerian or Westworld season 1.

Most probably there would be a few more.

Movies from DV (Video File (.m2ts) made by DVDFab UHD Creator. When infuse can play them on ATV 4K?

MPEG-H HEVC Video 44378 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR / BT.2020 /

• MPEG-H HEVC Video 8256 kbps 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / Dolby Vision / BT.2020 /
    HDR: Dolby Vision + HDR10

** MOD EDIT - please don’t post torrent links here. **

There are a number of DV discs out there. There is currently no way for any streamer to play these. The only device they can play these back is an Oppo 203/205 blu-ray player, and I believe they have to be in m2ts format (that player also has Cinavia). There is also no way for these to work within an MKV. The Apple TV 4K can notably play single layer DV files within MrMC, but not dual layer (i.e., blu-ray UHD discs). Someone will have to reverse engineer the dual layer DV format, which will not be easy to do. I would not expect dual layer DV support in Infuse anytime in the near future, although I would love to be proven wrong.

Let’s see what the developers say infuse. While we enjoy HDR in the remux.

James, do you have more info about this? Is there any progress with Dolby Vision dual layer while using ISO files?

Your answer is here

just got Gladiator UHD ISO, it contains DV. Will this work?

This video will play normally, but in HDR10.

Unfortunately Dolby has confirmed the dual-layer Dolby Vision (what is what is present on UHD discs) is not supported on the Apple TV at this time. :frowning:

Thanks for this update James. Is this a hardware or software limitation at the moment? Is it technically possible to convert the dual layer profile to a single layer in real time within the Infuse app?

I would guess software, but it’s still early in the HDR/DV game, so a lot could change down the road.

As of right now, Dolby simply doesn’t have any conversion or playback options for dual-track DV they can license to us that would be usable on iOS or Apple TV.

To put things into perspective, Dolby Vision is a set of metadata specifications where picture analysis is performed during mastering instead of playback. In theory, it would ease the processing needs for playback systems because computation-heavy tasks are performed once in the mastering studio and embedded into the stream. In practice, it’s a lame trade-off because Dolby Vision makes certain assumptions about playback systems which might or might not be realistic, e.g. very high peak brightness. This is why most TV vendors rather choose to create their own solutions where picture analysis is performed frame-by-frame on the device itself and content is matched to the actual device rather than to a fictional “perfect” output device that Dolby Vision imagines.

Also, the Dolby Vision campaign is reminiscent of the 90s when VHS tapes were starting to carry the “THX” logo because, allegedly, they were mastered so perfectly that the sound quality would be indistinguishable from what you could hear in the cinema, which of course is laughable if only for the fact that each VHS tape wears off every time you play it. The marketing campaign for Dolby Vision is equally dishonest, example:

Despicable Me (2010) is offered in 4k and Dolby Vision on iTunes. However, the movie animation itself was produced in 2k resolution only, i.e. the DI has no 4k resolution and certainly doesn’t have 12-bit per plane, so Dolby Vision makes zero sense for this title. The raw data was never there in the master to bring any improvement through Dolby Vision.

You are incorrect about dolby vision. The dolby vision engine allows for manual input. On vizio and lg tv’s you can supply the dolby vision engine with new data. Namely the maximum gamut and brightness of your tv. This ensures better tonemapping. Another thing which can make a difference is that I believe that dolby vision movies are graded by hand and a large part of hdr10 titles are automatically graded. Frame by frame analysis like the active hdr on 2017 lg models cannot be compared to movies mastered in dolby vision.
Also you say that in that case the content is matched to the device. This is wrong. It will be matched to the few tvs from a batch that are tested. Due to manufacturing fault tolerances no panel is the same. If you put up any number of tv’s from the same brand and model they will measure differently. So in this case dolby’s solution is actually superior, if manufacturers implement the full ability, because you can measure the panel itself and update the dolby vision engine with panel specific data.
Also despicable me is a digitally rendered movie. Why wouldn’t it be available in 12bit?

I’m so glad I’m old enough (including eyes) to be happy with just about any picture quality better than the original broadcast of “Gunsmoke”.

@James are you working on DV Support which has single layer?

It’s on our radar, but is on the back burner as there is little real-world value at this time. AFAIK, the only movies which contain single-layer DV are from streaming services like iTunes, which aren’t accessible in Infuse or other 3rd party apps.

Just wanted to say for academic purposes that the Sony UBP-X700 with its Dolby Vision update from last week will play the following test file as Dolby Vision:

The X700 is very bare bones for media playback so compared to the amazing Infuse app the 700 is like going from the penthouse to an outhouse.

So, Dolby Vision is not supported by Infuse now, isn’t it?

No it isn’t. There aren’t any media files (beyond test clips) available that support Dolby Vision.

I’m playing a back up title that has a Dolby Vision layer playing it back in infuse.
I have the ATV 4K set to output Dolby Vision 24p to my LG E6 OLED and it’s stating that it’s getting DV signal.
The picture looks awesome but am I getting true DV has its been stated above infuse isn’t DV capable, so I’m a bit confused!

You are upscaling the movie from HDR10 to Dolby Vision, it’s not the same.