Dolby Vision samples playing in HDR fall-back mode

Hello -

I downloaded a few sample Dolby Vision files from demolandia and Infuse on my ATV4K correctly recognizes them as DV files in the library.

However, when I play them, the HDR icon lights up on TV (LG) and not DV. I have turned on “match content” for both range and frame rate.

If I enable Dolby Vision in Video & Audio setting and disable “match content” for Range then DV works with the TV but I think that’s being upconverted and not true DV. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any pointers!

Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have enable dolby vision enabled on my ATV settings but I do have Match content on for both range and frame rate. When I play the NASA video I get the Dolby Vision “DV” emblem on my LG when it starts. Looks like it’s working right to me.

1 Like

I have almost the same setting, just chroma 4:2:0. Could that cause the issue? BTW, what year is your TV? Mine is 2016 E6.

No luck with 4:4:4. I have an HDMI switch between the ATV and the AVR, and chroma 4:4:4 sometimes creates handshake issues so I keep at 4:2:0

Wondering if my TV doesn’t support the DV profile used in this sample

After little more research and by trying the samples directly on the TV I found LG Comparison Demo is the only DV sample the TV can play from USB. Media info shows Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU

Infuse doesn’t recognize it as HDR or DV in the library and also plays as SDR. Is it because Infuse doesn’t support DV profile 4?

The NASA sample on the other hand is Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.09, BL+RPU. The TV simply couldn’t play that from the USB. Could this be the conclusion - TV doesn’t support anything over profile 4, which Infuse doesn’t like?

Was just digging around and ran across this post on reddit.

Read down specifically at the UPDATE where he talks about unplugging and reconnecting.

This may be part of it since you don’t see the “Enable Dolby Vision” under the first video option.

The AppleTV only support Dolby vision profile 5 and 8. Does Netflix content playback in DV?

Thanks NC for researching! Yes, I never had the 4k DV 60Hz option. I have 4k 30/25/24Hz DV options as well as 1080p 60/50/30/25/24Hz DV options. Never really bothered since the movies are all around 24Hz but that could be the reason for NASA sample, which is ~60Hz. I’ll try resetting everything tomorrow as well as try connecting directly to the TV and see if I get that option.

Good night!

Good luck! I will tell you I had to replace my HDMI cables to get the Dolby Vision to work consistently. It would black out occasionally and once I got a decent cable it was great.

Found this from The Verge -

The Apple TV also automatically preferences refresh rate over any other setting: if your TV supports 60Hz HDR10 but only 30Hz Dolby Vision (like 2016 LG OLEDs), the Apple TV will pick HDR10, even though HDR10 looks worse than Dolby Vision

So I guess there is no 60Hz support in my TV, which rules out playing the NASA DV video. And the above LG comparison video is 24Hz but profile 4 DV so Infuse can’t play it. Have to find a 24Hz DV sample that is profile 5…

Found a few 24Hz samples here. Infuse doesn’t recognize them as DV, only HDR, and plays them (e.g. this one) in HDR as well - is it an ATV limitation or Infuse?

MediaInfo shows Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

This probably from a Blu-ray demo. Not profile 5, not able to play DV due to Apple TV limitations.

Thanks! I’ll stop the research for now and revisit if/when Apple supports it. Even then there will be a question whether a 2016 OLED will support it as the TV can’t play this video from a USB drive.

HI, sorry i could have saved you some time. No support for this yet in Infuse presumably because Apple have not exposed this to developers. If you can get DV in Netflix etc… you have done everything you can do for now. If you really want it then Plex on nVidia Shield 2019 is the easiest path.

Thanks vadalus!

I just wanted to clarify one thing, the samples in the link of the first post specifically the NASA video does play fine and in DV with Infuse so those looking for a DV sample to try this one works well.

In the newer OLEDs it works but not on the old ones that don’t support DV @60Hz. With no support for profile 7 @24Hz (at least in ATV/Infuse, not sure about 2016 OLED, it can play DV from bluray player though), there isn’t much content to view anyway

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.