Dolby Vision Profile 7 support (.ts/.mkv files)

@james is HDR10 and plus the most adopted with movies compared to Dolby as it’s hard to notice the difference anyway, does Dolby Blu-ray Discs always have hdr10 fallback?

Dolby vision blurays always have HDR10 fallback so playback is possible on non-DV displays.

I have an nvidia shield on one tv and an Apple TV on another. I had to remux my DV MP4 files to mkv because plex on the shield has some sort of issue with DV MP4 that causes them to randomly buffer. Since doing that DV playback has stopped working in infuse. Any progress on investigating the issue? Files worked previously on Apple TV as MP4 however infuse doesn’t like the MKV container.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I’m not sure when this became supported because I can’t find any documentation on it, but as of today I’m able to play all of my Dolby vision remux files and Dolby vision tag triggers on my lg c9 using the plex app.

This is working on two different Apple TV 4ks (the original and the new one) as well as both my lg c9’s. I have both match frame rate and match range enabled on these Apple TV’s and they are set to 4K sdr so it doesn’t appear to be a bug or forcing Dolby vision.

With that said does infuse plan on adding support since it appears the Apple TV’s now supports profile 7?

What app do you play the media files with?

As far as I know, Apple TV does not support dual layer profiles, such as profile 7 and it is not up to apps like Infuse to change that, since Apple would need to add this sort of feature as part of tvOS first (maybe even make hardware changes, not sure about that though).

I’m using the Apple TV plex app.

Oh well, yeah, that’s fake DoVi. PLEX just triggers the Apple TV into Dolby Vision (hence your C9 shows Dolby Vision) but actually it is HDR10.

There are a couple of threads on the internet about this (e.g. reddit). I think there’s a thread about it on this forum, too.

Do you have links for it? I can’t seem to find any discussion on this.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-displays-wrong-colours-with-dolby-vision-on-appletv-4k/702274/125

Yeah though that is what Plex has always done, in this case there are vague release notes on the latest Plex TestFlight.

The files involved are profile 8 though so not technically impossible on the ATV as far as I’m aware.

I have actually asked the question about what is happening over in the Plex forums. If I here back I will report here.

Profile 8 may only be possible with the second gen 4K and there are different versions of profile 8. It’s kind of a mess.

Indeed.
I have some that will only play as HDR in Infuse.
They do play as DV in Plex.

Do I believe they are really playing DV and not just Plex laughable previously claimed “support for DV?”
Nope I don’t. It’s mostly for giggles asking the question. I’m pretty sure I will not get a reply.

Honestly I don’t care. Two release groups do DV5 with Atmos as web-dl…coupled with spatial audio I’m pretty much done.

I still find navigation of TV in Infuse painful compared with Plex. But navigation is secondary to playback.

For anyone who is curious

1 Like

There’s big news coming from Plex vis-a-vis Dolby Vision and possible tone mapping etc in the next few weeks. Maybe we might move our “allegedly” into a more positive affirmation…

That’s amazing news and I just read Ridley’s comments over on Plex forums.

It still won’t be enough for me to abandon Infuse though (spatial audio is all.)

But finally something open and honest over there.

To be fair I have sympathy with the Apple based devs both James here and over there.

Dolby Vision is confusing as hell right now.

There are guys releasing profile 5 that have a fallback layer that then breaks Profile 5 DV on the Apple TV.

I have no idea what they are trying to achieve.
Surely it can’t be to give compatibility with devices like the Shield. I personally think they have enough options already. :joy:

1 Like

“Profile 5 with a fallback layer” is actually considered a form of Profile 8, which yes only works on the Shield right now—but is invaluable because almost every single media player supports HDR10, enabling people to keep just one version that plays on any device.