Dolby Vision Profile 7 & 8 support (.ts/.mkv files)

This is the right answer ! Here the link : Dolby_Vision_stuff - Google Sheets

This probably won’t do. Normally, it needs to check what’s actually in EL because empty EL is still an EL, MEL is still an FEL. Typically MEL’s EL is very small. when you play duel track ts file, you can see empty EL stream is blank.

Ah I was lucky as none of my FEL movies were on that list, I did check half a year ago when I did the processing.

I am aware of that forum’s list, they also were not so sure how to check FEL vs MEL as bandwidth wasn’t a clear indicator. We can’t dismiss what makemkv is doing as we don’t know what it’s doing.
Though I agree the foolproof method is to check the contents.

@susanstone I knew I used another tool, dovi_tool which analyzes the RPU frame metadata, oc if the metadata is created incorrectly, then that isn’t foolproof neither. In this GitHub issue quietvoid asks about makemkv output :joy:

I’m currently using CalMAN (Video Pro), a VideoForge Pro as a TPG (test pattern generator), and a C6 HDR2000 colorimeter.

I use my eyes for verification that nothing is terribly off, but our eyes can deceive us, so if accuracy is required then it’s critical to have the correct measurement equipment.

I recently shared a guide on how to calibrate and verify the calibration on Sony Master Series displays.

1 Like

Not sure what do you mean? does makemkv ever return MEL?

Yes of course, it (makemkv) detects somehow the DV EL type of a movie. I meant to say we can’t discount what makemkv uses to make that decision, as we don’t know what makemkv implements for that EL detection.

PS: Plz re-read my above response where I added the stuff about dovi_tool.

Interesting. good to know.

There’s no uncertainty at all here, the Dolby specification is clear on what is FEL and what is MEL.
See comment: MEL incorrectly flagged as FEL · Issue #162 · quietvoid/dovi_tool · GitHub

3 Likes

Hi :slight_smile: I also linked in that same GH (GitHub issue) few posts above. The uncertainty I was referring to was the bandwidth throughput usage of FEL/MEL that blu-ray forum lists or uses to determine the EL type.

My last reply to susantone (the other uncertainty) was about what makemkv uses not dovi_tool, as the latter is open source while makemkv is not. Do you know if makemkv uses the RPU contents to determine EL type?

I would assume it uses the RPU.

1 Like

This is probably an English question:

If “all three channels” are exactly as shown, it is MEL. This is clear.
If “all three channels” are not exactly as shown, it ‘can’ flag as FEL. So it ‘can’ also be a MEL but ‘flag’ as FEL?

So I have some files on my Plex which are DV profile 8.1 with dual Dolby Vision with a fallback to HDR. (“Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible”)

If match content range is turns on, Infuse Pro reverts to the comparability HDR layer instead of Dolby Vision. If I force Apple TV to Dolby Vision and turn off match content range, then DV is played but I’m not sure if that’s just the HDR repackaged or true DV.

Any way to fix this or will a future update resolve this? Do I just have to put profile 5 files on my Plex to have native DV support? My NVIDIA SHIELD does not have this problem.

No, it doesn’t say anywhere that it ‘can be’ MEL.
It either flags as FEL (not all conditions are met) or MEL (all conditions are met).

Might be because the file you are using has CM4.0 but Infuse only handles CM2.9. I think most of us expect that to be addressed in an update, but there are ways you can convert the file. Search this thread to learn more.

First and foremost, thanks for creating the script this helped a lot of us less technical individuals to get the most out of our libraries and players.
After using it, I have a question, once processed with your script, some files lose a couple hundred megabytes in size, but some lose 10-20 gigabytes, I get that the 1080p layer is deleted, but why doesn’t this happen on all files? Shouldn’t all files have this 1080p DV layer that would be removed after processing, and therefore, a proportional reduction in size?

1 Like

some 1080p DV layers are empty. It is called MEL(minimum enhancement layer). It only has RPU metadata.

1 Like

Nice… am with you on the Calman and HDR2000… That thread you pointed to is outstanding. havent looked at anything like that in quite a while

Thank you for your inputs and that thread. Interesting thing there witht he Gamma 2.4 and 2.2 settings… I need to review my workflows

1 Like

Thanks!

Fortunately, small steps have been leading toward CalMAN becoming significantly more affordable to the enthusiast calibrator. You now can purchase/use CalMAN Home, an X-Rite i1D3 OEM, and a Portrait G1 for $975.

It used to be that you needed CalMAN Video Pro, a Portrait C6 HDR2000, and a Portrait VideoForge Pro which all added up to ~$4k.

I can’t get the script to keep the fps of the input file. Is there an easy fix for this, anyone?!
I tried changing this line in the script:

Blockquote
& $mkvMergePath -o “$mkvBase.dv8.mkv” -D “$mkvFile” “$mkvBase.dv8.hevc” --track-order 1:0 --default-duration 1:24000/1001fps

but it still doesn’t work. It also doesn’t work to drag the folder over the bat but I am running the bat command and the file in a cmd window.

You can use a line like this:

& $mkvMergePath -o "$mkvBase.dv8.mkv" -D "$mkvFile" --default-duration 0:24000/1001p --fix-bitstream-timing-information 0:1 "$mkvBase.dv8.hevc" --track-order 1:0

The order matters.

Just be careful though to not use this line with 24p content. I assume you’re using this with WEB-DL ATVP content though which is almost always 23.976p.