Dolby Vision Profile 7 & 8 support (.ts/.mkv files)

Windows ARM could be the issue. Not optimized for the script.

2 Likes

I ran into the same issue with ARM Windows on my M1. Somewhere along the way I got an error message about a missing VCRUNTIME140.dll file. Google search found this page. I downloaded the file and copied it into the two indicated Windows folders, and now it’s working for me.

I tried this, restarted, ran the script again, exact same result, extracts then quits and disappears with no way for me to see what went wrong. Thank you though.

That’s strange. It’s working great for me.

I just installed visual studio in full since just putting the dlls in the folders didn’t work, and ran the script again, and behold! The script worked perfectly. Thank you for the heads-up about what I was missing!

1 Like

Please, I have a quick question: where can I find information about the exact containers and codecs supported by Infuse on ATV? Right now I am dealing with another instance of a DV file that plays as HDR.

I moved your post to the thread that should hold your answers. Scan through and I believe that james answers your questions in a few places.

Can you post the mediainfo of the file please?
If it’s profile 7 then that’s expected behaviour. You’re option would be to run it through @speedy excellent script earlier in the thread.

Here’s a direct link

And the discussion on it starts around early April if you want to read up on it.

I believe it can also help with profile 8 that should play as DV but don’t.

1 Like

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible

Can’t this Dolby Vision and hdr10 compatible format be played in Dolby Vision? I can only activate hdr every time I play this format on my TV,I use apple tv,The dvhe.08.07 format can activate Dolby Vision, this dvhe.08.06 format cannot

It’s probably CMv4. Run it through my script to convert to CMv2.9.

1 Like

This is the way. If your file doesn’t work it’s a CMv4 and speedy’s brilliant script will fix it.

Cool man, thanks from Germany!

One question. Just did that successfully with one 68gb file. After the conversion the file was „only“ 53gb. Can you tell, why there is such a relative big size difference?

It’s because the 12-bit 1080p FEL track has been dropped. This FEL track can only be played back with an actual Blu-ray player and wouldn’t provide any real-world advantage on a properly mastered disc when viewed on a consumer display.

What you’re left with after my script runs is a 10-bit Dolby Vision Profile 8.1 CM v2.9 file.

1 Like

I have observed a strange problem with some of my Dolby Vision titles.

The process I use is:

1. Create a profile 7 mkv from a Blu-ray iso image (from an original bluray) using MakeMKV (also works creating profile 7 mkv from DVDFab).
  2. Encode to profile 5 mp4 using DVDFab.
  3. Extract profile 5 video track using ffmpeg,
  4. Convert profile 5 video track to profile 8 video track using dovi_tool.
  5. Replace profile 7 mkv video track with converted profile 8 video track using mkvtoolnix.

Now I’ve decided to check out AppleTV again which naturally means using InFuse and I’m finding I have problems with some of my Dolby Vision titles.

The procedure works fine for around 70 - 80 of my Dolby Vision titles but for the remaining 10 - 20 titles my TV doesn’t trigger Dolby Vision for them.

The interesting thing is if I convert the profile 7 from step 1 to profile 8 it works fine and Dolby Vision is triggered on the TV for every faulty title I’ve tried so far.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Ian

EDIT: deleted because not quite answering your question

Sorry, but can I ask why would you go through all that trouble?

Because I don’t have enough space or enough ports to plug in additional drives to always use the raw profile 7. Even using a NAS (I did for many years) is very expensive and I need to be in a position to continue after I retire and have virtually no income.

In any case what I end up with is by no means small (in fact they are quite large), it’s usually not possible to tell the difference between the full size profile 7 and the profile 8 I end up with.

Ian

I’ve moved your post to a thread containing a wealth of knowledge about DV files and there are many hints and “how tos” to help you get the most from Infuse with DV files.

There are some really sharp users in this thread and I’m sure they’ll have some suggestions for you to get what you’re after. :wink:

Don’t transcode from Profile 7 to Profile 5 with DVDFab, just take the MKV backup and run it through this script for a lossless conversion:

Unless… are you trying to further compress the original video with x265?

1 Like

That is essentially what I said in response to an earlier question.
While many of my Dolby Vision shows remain fairly large they end up between 1/4 and 1/2 the original size without identifiable lose in quality.