Dolby Vision Profile 7 & 8 support (.ts/.mkv files)

No worries. Glad to hear things are working well with P5. :slight_smile:

Should have more news on some of these other items soon.

2 Likes

I’d love to test this as well, but as a new forum-user I can’t send PMs yet! I recently wrote a Python-script that remuxes P8 files with the false P5 tag, only to realise the resulting files only play as HDR in Infuse. P7 > P8.1 RPU conversions and discarding EL will still be useful part of the script and even more so with this new feature.

This upcoming feature will make ATV so much better for DV playback, proper P8 support has been my only gripe so far. I’m beyond excited. :blush:

1 Like

Any chance you could share that script? I’m looking for an easier way to convert my profile 7 4K Blu-ray rips

There’s already an existing one that does more. It’s one of the tabs in this sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1jBIGF8XTVi9VmDBZ8a5hEyongYMCDlUiLHU9n1f_S74/htmlview#

1 Like

I highly recommend checking out the link @vidya146 sent you, it’s made by the great RESET_9999 over MakeMKV forums and contains everything you could possibly want. But if you’re not on Windows or just wanna try my script, I’m happy to share it but it currently only does Apple-friendly fake P5 MP4 files and is tailored to my personal use overall. Shoot me a PM if you wan’t to try it when its ready

1 Like

First i’m sorry if i cannot explain my problem very detailed, as i’m not familiar with any deeper going format stuff…

Since the latest beta update some DV files show a very weird behavior as you can see in the following picture. The bars are white and the edges are a flickering:

This is a known issue in the beta we’re looking into.

Could P7 —> P5 conversion on-the-fly also be possible? My UHD discs mainly have DoVi P7.

This would be a huge feature which I think would be noticed far beyond the innermost Infuse circles. Oh, my! The first ever iOS app to support DoVi from UHD discs. Almost too good to be true :grinning:

It’s not a conversion it’s just modify some header info. If your UHD rips are dual layer you went get DoVi as this would require more resources and technique to achieve.

2 Likes

I’m aware that there’s actually no conversion going on. I only chose that expression since James used it.

Are you indirectly saying that P7 = dual layer and therefore won’t work with this method? If that is not the case, my question stands.

And another thing: Where can you tell if a disc has dual layer or not? Can you see it in mediainfo?

If UHD discs has dual layer DoVi and it can’t be converted to singel layer, what excactly is it to achieve here? Isn’t it the case that it’s mostly rips from UHD discs people in here use with Infuse? What other options are there?

Sorry if I’m asking stupid questions, but it’s not that easy to understand all this.

@Videoman All UHD BDs are Profile 7 and Profile 7 is always dual layer. Apple devices don’t understand dual layer DoVi formats, so there’s no hope of re-writing the Profile 7 metadata as Profile 5 to trick Apple devices into playing it back.

Some Profile 7 DoVi UHD BDs are just MEL (Minimum Enhancement Layer) though while others also contain FEL (Full Enhancement Layer). This has no impact though on Apple compatibly since both are Dual Layer.

2 Likes

It is possible to combine the BL and RPU from dual layer P7 tracks into a single P8 track, but FEL data will be lost from this conversion.

MEL EL only contains the RPU, so MEL P7 to P8 conversion Is lossless.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate that.

This was disappointing. Then I understand that there is no hope of playing ripped UHD discs in Infuse and getting DoVi before Apple eventually starts supporting dual layer.

Out of curiosity, what exactly can you use the feature Infuse is now testing for? Where do users get these single layer P8 files from, other than those coming from their iPhones?

@Videoman As @MacKeeper28 stated above… you can convert your Profile 7 files to Profile 8.1. I’ve done this with my entire library.

2 Likes

see above:

I’ll add that I’ve handled my Profile 7 to 8.1 conversions with DDVT: [DDVT Tool] Dolby Vision RPU Demuxing / Injecting / Editing. - Doom9's Forum

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m getting dumber and dumber the more I read about this topic :slight_smile:

But since you are so kind and helping me, I allow myself to ask a few more stupid questions:

1. Just so I don’t completely misunderstand. If I’ve ripped a UHD disc with MakeMKV, with dual layer DoVi, then it will be playable through Infuse, only I won’t get DoVi, right? So that the video plays as HDR10? No problem, either if it’s coming directly from MakeMkv or via conversion with HandBrake?

2. I have to admit that the recipe MacKeeper28 mentions is Greek to me. But it sounds interesting.

Is it so that by following a special recipe one can be left with a file from a UHD disk that is single layer P8 and possibly soon can be played with DoVi via Infuse? If yes, is there any downside to it?

I can probably read up on endless threads in various forums, but is there a dummy guide to do that which people without expert knowledge can follow?

I know how to use tools like mkvtoolnix and ffmpeg at the utmost basic level, but if I want to do more I need step by step guidance. This would be an awesome thing to learn.

Thank you for your patience.

Edit: I will read your links to see if that’s something I can handle.

Edit 2: Unfortunately, I have to realize that this is going to be too difficult for me. I quickly get lost in space when I have to deal with something more knowledge-intensive than a graphical user interface.

I should have taken a programming course back in the day.

In any case, I would like to add that it is a shame, because this could have been something that “ordinary people” also enjoyed a lot.

Edit 3: Can anyone confirm that my assumption in question 1 above is correct?

Here’s what I did:

1. Downloaded the rar file from here
  2. Extracted everything to a directory
  3. Double-clicked DoVi_Scripts.bat
  4. Selected 4 (Profile 7 Input MKV/BDMV)
  5. Selected 2 (MKV/TS/M2TS/MP4 Profile 7 rip to Profile 8)
  6. Dragged and dropped my MKV rip to the terminal window
  7. Hit enter
  8. When prompted, hit N for encoding audio to DDP
  9. When prompted, hit N for editing L5
  10. Waited for the script to output a .ts file
  11. Played in the Infuse beta

I’ve tried two different full-length movies (both with FEL) and both play in DV in Infuse without a problem. Granted, I haven’t watched them all the way through yet.

If anyone thinks I’m doing that wrong, do let me know.

1 Like

@chronomac Re-encoding the audio as DDP isn’t ideal since you can just let Plex Media Server re-encode audio on the fly to EAC3 in higher quality using their officially Dolby-licensed tech that’s part of Plex’s EasyAudioEncoder… Long story short, this conversion from LPCM, FLAC, TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc all happen automatically and on the fly.

Otherwise, those are good steps for converting Profile 7 to Profile 8.1.

You don’t need to deal with anything that involves an actual command line… Everything functions as drag-and-drop even with the scripts @chronomac shared.