Dolby Vision Profile 7 & 8 support (.ts/.mkv files)

Well to be fair a lot has changed since I wrote that.
Almost all groups do a separate SDR, HDR10 and DV release.

Will PM you when home with the relevant groups that I can remember.

This isn’t accurate.

Care to elaborate?

2 Likes

Please don’t make a blanket statement without being specific as to what you may believe to be incorrect and why.

3 Likes

The folks over on the MakeMKV forums have discovered that iOS devices and Apple TV will actually play Profile 8.1 Dolby Vision (single layer HDR10 base layer) content, if it is retagged to Profile 5 by demuxing and then remuxing with mp4muxer specifying Profile 5, or MP4Box.

The idea came from an Apple TV screensaver file with Profile 8.1 RPUs that is tagged as Profile 5. It is marked as dvhe.05.07 with an HDR10 compatible base layer. I’ve linked it here:
https://sylvan.apple.com/Aerials/2x/Videos/GL_G004_C010_4K_HDR_HEVC.mov
Source: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux. - Page 455 - www.makemkv.com
MediaInfo:

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.07, BL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : dvh1
Duration                                 : 4 min 47 s
Bit rate                                 : 8 289 kb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.033
Stream size                              : 285 MiB (100%)
Title                                    : Core Media Video
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-07-13 18:40:22
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-07-13 18:40:24
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 5451 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 375 cd/m2
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC

This file opens and plays in QuickTime on my Mac and the Inspector shows this:

In Infuse, this video does not appear to play correctly as the colors appear washed out.

To see if “fake” Profile 5 videos could be played properly, a Dolby Vision test file was retagged from Profile 8.1 to Profile 5 and it was confirmed that RPUs do display on iOS devices and Apple TV.
Sources: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux. - Page 455 - www.makemkv.com
Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux. - Page 461 - www.makemkv.com
converted p8.1 test file - Google Drive
RPU fake P5 L1.L2_cmv29 (ATV).mp4 - Google Drive

Retagged files that are muxed with mp4muxer are tagged as dvhe.05.06 and the QuickTime Inspector does not show data for color primaries, etc.

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : dvh1
Duration                                 : 4 min 36 s
Bit rate                                 : 1 176 kb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 016 pixels
Original height                          : 2 014 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.905
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.006
Stream size                              : 38.7 MiB (100%)
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1
Encoded date                             : UTC 2022-06-26 23:23:25
Tagged date                              : UTC 2022-06-26 23:23:25
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 400 cd/m2
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC+dvcC

However, QuickTime on my Mac and the Files app on my iPad both play these files with correct colors, whereas Infuse plays them with washed out colors.

With this new information, would it be possible to allow Infuse to play at least the Apple TV screensaver and hopefully “fake” retagged Profile 8.1 → 5 videos? The most desirable outcome would be Infuse retagging Profile 8.1 videos to Profile 5 on the fly to allow playback without any prior user action required.

Edit: added another “fake” P5 video to the sources

1 Like

This has been addressed and the fix will be available soon in the 7.4.6 release. :slight_smile: You can follow this thread for updates.

2 Likes

Awesome! You guys are always on top of things. Will the fix you have implemented allow playing Profile 8.1 files without retagging?

No changes for Profile 8. These will continue to follow the HDR fall back logic as described in this post.

1 Like

Does the Apple TV 4K 2022 bring new features for HDR and Dolby Vision?

Which DV profiles play correctly in DV?

Do DV profiles that play in HDR also have the problem of bad HDR data? HDR metadata not correct, replaced by standard values …

DV a profiles are the same. You get profile 5 and 8.1. DV doesn’t use static values so the problem doesn’t exist.

Yes for profile 5 no problem, we get real DV.

My questions were mainly for the other DV profiles (7, 8) which are transmitted in HDR10. Does the metadata replaced by standard values as for others HDR10 videos ?

Unfortunately yes.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: How else to play Dolby Vision files?

Hi all,

I have some DV profile 8 files which are HDR10 compatible. To my surprise both QuickTime (although you can never verify since it won’t tell you, thanks Apple) and Infuse will fall back to HDR10 and not do DV.

Is there any way for me to convert the file or are there any updates coming that might change things? Thanks!

Current status of Dolby vision support.

I’m not familiar with ways to convert so can’t help you there, but pretty sure we’ve exhausted the current compatibility with Apple TV. So I wouldn’t expect anything new coming unless apple changes something.

MEL DV with HDR10 compatible base layer (profile 8.1) can be played on AppleTV if the header is modded as that’s how ATV does their DV screensavers. You can find the tools to do so with the Google sheets I linked further up the thread.

Does that actually make sure my Mac will trigger DV or does it just fake it into thinking it? And is there any way to verify?

It’s real DV. Otherwise Apple wouldn’t do it themselves.

Could you link me the tool?

The most interesting part of this post is the solution offered above

“With this new information, would it be possible to allow Infuse to play at least the Apple TV screensaver and hopefully “fake” retagged Profile 8.1 → 5 videos? The most desirable outcome would be Infuse retagging Profile 8.1 videos to Profile 5 on the fly to allow playback without any prior user action required.”

@james Could you please reply to let us know if Infuse could do this or if its something you are looking into?

It appears that profile 8.1 with hdr fallback is rapidly becoming standard for 4k encoders as it doesn’t make sense to store two separate files.

Since the concept of Infuse is that it plays anything you throw at it, it would be horrible if we cant use Infuse to play the Dolby stream.

I get that there is some hacking going on here but lets all remember that Firecore started as software to play media on jailbroken Apple TVs.

I doubt very much that Apple would care about this very minor mux hack but if you think that they would then how about releasing a version of Infuse outside the App store?

I really want to stick with Infuse and I shouldn’t have to choose between Dolby Vision and Infuse or to have to only use Profile 5 vids when they become close to impossible to find.

One other question. If a Bluray 4k ISO image is played that has Dolby Vision and HDR10 in the BluRay ISO is that profile 5 or 8.1?

3 Likes