Dolby Vision Profile 7 & 8 support (.ts/.mkv files)

Either way, at least we all win or suffer together:-)

But what about the 1st gen ATV4K?

id imagine so since in my experience i have had better compatibility with my first gen atv 4k compared to my third gen

1 Like

Can also confirm, on Apple TV 4k (3.gen) and TvOs 17.1, P8 files will play always as HDR10
if they contain CM4.0 data.

So the automatic remapping via “Auto + Limited” DV settings in Infuse does not work.
So we need to manually remove CM4.0 via dovi scrips to trigger DV.

1 Like

The point is though is that it’s being worked on by Infuse.

Infuse currently displays that the episode is compatible with DV, even though it’s actually in Profile 8 format. The Infuse team has acknowledged that they are still in the process of adding support for P8, as mentioned in their forum post here: Infuse Community Forum.

Does this imply that while Infuse recognizes the episode as DV, it may actually play it back in HDR? Essentially, does Infuse show a DV tag for the episode, but it’s actually playing in HDR?

Yes.
If the file is CMV4 it will most likely play as HDR (at least for now).
If it’s CMV2.9 it “should” play as Dolby Vision.

thats working now?

infuse via jellyfin doesnt show i have a single DV file, shows all of them in HDR even thought i have about 50ish in profile 5 and like 100 plus as hybrid, profile 8 (cm2.9 and cm4)

Maybe that’s a Jellyfin thing? In Infuse natively and hooked into Plex it’s shown DV for a long time.

1 Like

I think so - I use Emby, and have the same problem. It’s going to be fixed in the upcoming Emby Server update.

2 Likes

some sort of communication thing/jellyfin thing. jellyfin web ui does the same thing (everything is HDR) and like you said, when i run infuse to those same files via SMB, show up as DV fine. I just heard infuse may be working on that (fingers crossed for me) but i guess if jellyfin cant do it right, cant expect infuse to.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not, Infuse can’t fix it, we have to wait for Jellyfin and Emby to fix.

Now that Emby Server 4.8 has fixed this (which is still in beta for now), hopefully Jellyfin will follow.

Anyone know the latest on CMv4 support? I am tempted to just rollback my files to 2.9 to make them work, but know as soon as I do v4 support will show up and then I have to re-rip.

1 Like

Still seems to be a bit of a mystery as to what exactly changed in tvOS 17 and which profile 8.1 files it will now natively play. The only way I can think of to test this would be to set up Home Sharing on your Mac or PC to play on the Apple TV, but I assume the files would need to be converted to mp4 first.

Just for fun I was able to create a mp4 from a p8 cm4.0 mkv file to test the Apple TV (latest generation 2022) native player and, albeit heavy audio sync problems, the mp4 played in DV. So for sure the native support for P8 implemented in the 17 firmware works for cm4.0.

2 Likes

Can you test that same mp4 file in Infuse

Already done and in Infuse plays in HDR.

1 Like

p8.1 dvh1 mp4

I have a movie with the following video info

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

I have another one with the same exact video info.

However one plays in Dolby Vision and the other in HDR.
And the biggest difference I can find is that the have a different “Audio #1

The one that doesn’t play in DV:

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD

The one that plays in DV:

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS

Other files that have Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos play as long as It is not “Audio #1

I think I recall reading about somebody experience somehow a similar problem when trying to play DV with TrueHD Atmos.

Hello,

Is it possible to convert a profile 7 + FEL file to profile 8.1 retaining all the informations of the FEL to the 8.1 file? Or is it better in this case to just play the HDR10 file?

I saw we can also convert HDR10+ files to DV. Does the conversion work well or is not worth it?