Dolby Vision Profile 5 won't play as DV if the level is 7 or 9

Hi,

On Apple TV 4K, MP4 files with Dolby Vision Profile 5 that have any other level than 6, doesn’t play as DV. They play as SDR, since they usually don’t have HDR10 fallback (as in my test files). Although recognized by Infuse as “DV” (and not just “4K”) on the title screen before playback.

Two mediainfo examples I tested that doesn’t trigger Dolby Vision:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.07, BL+RPU
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.09, BL+RPU

If needed, I can upload them to you. These are small sized files.

Does trigger Dolby Vision:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

Is it possible to fix that ?
I assume it’s an Apple TV 4K limitation. If so, Infuse should mark these as “4K” as it does for non-Profile 5 files (or “HDR” if there is HDR10 fallback)

P.S. If someone knows of a way to convert just the DV level from 7/9 to 6, even if it means lossy encode, I will very much appreciate you sharing how to do it. I wasn’t able to achieve this with mp4_muxer (dlb_mp4base).

If you’re able to send in a sample we’d be happy to look into this.

DONE. Did you get both files ?

@james I assume you checked this one, can you share your insights ?

Sorry, for the delay - I must have missed your reply.

I have located your samples here (thanks for that!) and we’ll be looking into this.

Still seeing this issue in Infuse Pro 7 with dvhe.05.07 mkv files.

The content only triggers DV when using the Plex app for Google TV and selecting lossy (Dolby Digital 5.1) audio so the file can be played using Direct Play.

Infuse 7 and Plex for ATV both display HDR10 with the incorrect color space.

Same with ExoPlayer in the Plex app for Google TV when lossless audio has to be transcoded instead of direct played.

Can you try installing the 7.2.1 update and see if this resolves your issue?

This version adds support for some Dolby Vision files which were not supported before.