Dolby Vision on macOS

I had the same issue with a copy of Justice League Snyder Cut……I just watched it on my iPad instead lol

Had the same issue with some new files. I did some testes with different media info files with DV, and some research. Found that the DV files that do not work, are the ones with no backward compatibility with HDR. They use dvhe codec, to be backward compatible they need to use hevc codec.
Tested with samples from Dolby. Same result. Only with macOS. With iOS the files play correctly.

Correct me if my conclusions are wrong. Peace.

#RestoreTheSnyderVerse

Видео
Идентификатор : 1
Формат : HEVC
Формат/Информация : High Efficiency Video Coding
Профиль формата : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
Идентификатор кодека : dvhe
Идентификатор кодека/Информация : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
Продолжительность : 1 ч. 41 м.
Битрейт : 17,9 Мбит/сек
Ширина : 3 840 пикселей
Высота : 2 160 пикселей
Соотношение сторон : 16:9
Режим частоты кадров : Постоянный
Частота кадров : 23,976 (24000/1001) кадра/сек
Цветовое пространство : YUV
Субдискретизация насыщенности : 4:2:0
Битовая глубина : 10 бит
Бит/(Пиксели*Кадры) : 0.090
Размер потока : 12,6 Гбайт (95%)
Заголовок : Tom and Jerry (2021) - Release by Dolby Vision Torrents
Библиотека кодирования : x265 3.4hy:[Linux][GCC 7.5.0][64 bit] 10bit

In theory, Mac Os has support for Dolby Vision, and iTunes movies are mostly in this format. As for modern Mac displays, they are definitely not worse in color coverage than on the iPad, which can be in Dolby Vision. I think it’s more of a problem at the OS system level.

Hi

Any news about a update ?
For profile 5, it’s possible to solve the problem by changing colour from “full” to “limited” in video characteristics in MP4 format (limited just specify P3 colour range BT.2020). I think it’s possible to solve the problem permanently by Infuse update, to read correctly “full” colour range DV profile 5, like tvOS and iOS.
Maybe the same with other profile in macOS.

Sincerely

1 Like

This came to the iOS app in version 7.2.1. Will it also come to the macOS version? It doesn’t work yet in version 7.2.1 on macOS, and I don’t see it in the release notes. Thanks.

It’s not available yet but I moved your post to a currently running thread for this feature in the suggestions forum.

Don’t forget that you need to click the like button on the first post in this thread to show your support for this suggestion! :wink:

1 Like

I am getting an Apple Silicon MaBook Pro in the next few days and quite disappointed to learn that some DV videos that play beautifully on tvOS and iPadOS do not play correctly on macOS.

@james is full DV profile support coming to macOS soon?
And is it possible to use the iPad version of Infuse on Apple Silicon Macs?

1 Like

You can follow the tags on this thread. Once they start working on it it will get moved from wishlist to planned then in progress.

1 Like

In Infuse 7.2.1, Dolby Vision profile 5 videos play correctly (yes!) and beautifully in Infuse on iOS, iPadOS and on Apple TV, even when connected to a HDR10 but non Dolby Vision capable TV.

But they play just wrong in Infuse on macOS. (Monterey 12.0.1 on a 16" MBP M1 Pro).
Which is a shame because HDR10 videos are just spectacular in Infuse on this machine.

I did not see DV profile 5 support in the upcoming features’ list.
@james is Dolby Vision profile 5 support coming to Infuse on the Mac in the not too distant future ? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a bug: a file plays perfectly in Infuse on all platforms but macOS. I do not understand why this has been moved to suggestions.

It’s crazy that some videos play correctly in Infuse on iPhone, iPad and Appple TV, in QuickTime Player or the TV app on the Mac, but not in Infuse on the Mac.

For example this file http://media.developer.dolby.com/DolbyVision_Atmos/mp4/iOS_P5_GlassBlowing2_3840x2160%4059.94fps_15200kbps.mp4
found on this page: Dolby Vision streams | Dolby Developer

That’s because, from my understanding, the Mac client does not support Dolby Vision yet. So it’s not a bug, the app on Mac simply doesn’t support it at all.

I just got a new 16 inch M1 Pro MacBook Pro myself, so I would love to see this feature supported as well!

4 Likes

Would also love to see this feature on MacOS as well!

1 Like

Hi there

Firstly if this has been mentioned in the forum before, apologies I couldn’t find any mention.

I am using a MacBook Pro 15" 2018 i7 hex core, Radeon Pro 555x macOS Big Sur 11.6.1
Infuse V 7.2.1

So my AppleTV 4K with InfusePRO (Yearly Subscription) with LG 48" OLED TV plays 2160P Dolby Vision fine, actually better than fine (better than HDR10+).
But on my Mac there is a Green/ Magenta cast making the Dolby Vision Films unwatchable.
Is anyone else experiencing this problem & anyone know a fix?

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Moved your post to a currently running suggestion thread. Take note that it’s tagged as “in-progress” and is listed in the “Upcoming Features” thread here.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Dolby Vision Profile 7 support (.ts/.mkv files)

Infuse 7.3 is now available and includes support for Dolby Vision on Mac.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Color issues with Dolby Vision on Mac