Dolby vision not triggered, only HDR

I have the newest Apple TV 4K, and a Dolby vision capable tv. I can see my tv use Dolby vision mode while in the Apple TV Home Screen, and when playing DV content on services like Disney plus. When I try to playback a movie in infuse that has Dolby vision, only HDR is activated on my tv.

Example file: The.Jungle.Book.2016.HYBRID.2160p.BluRay.REMUX.HEVC.DV.TrueHD.Atmos.7.1

I’m not sure what else to do in order to get Dolby vision to trigger on my tv.

You may want to run that video through mediainfo and see what DV version it’s encoded with. There’s a good thread that if you read through it will give you some great background on DV here.

I would suggest you set your Apple TV to SDR output, but that is probably a personal preference. More importantly, make sure to enable “Match Dynamic Range” and “Match Frame Rate”. (You probably have this enabled already).

Depending on the content your Apple TV will handle the rest (if supported), i.e. it will switch to HDR, Dolby Vision, etc. automatically (Apple TV Video Settings)

On the topic: I had a look at the file via MediaInfo. It says it’s dvhe.08.06, hence Dolby Vision P8.1.

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Since the very file you mentioned is P8.1, you won’t be able to actually play this file in Dolby Vision on your Apple TV. P8.1 is not supported as of now. What happens is, that the fall back layer (HDR10) is used. That’s why your TV shows HDR mode when playing back this media file.

Funny enough, that is sth. a couple of people actually wish for at the moment (cf. other DV topics on this forum). May I ask what TV (brand & model) you use?

2 Likes