Dolby Vision Issue in Infuse (support in dvhe.05.06 only but not dvhe.04.06 or dvhe.06.06)

Finally I manage to get a Single Layer Dolby Vision file.

But I have issue playback as Dolby Vision by Infuse where it still detect as HDR instead of Dolby Vision.

But MrMC is manage and success playback as Dolby Vision.
I mentioned MrMC here is for proving the file is support Dolby Vision format.

Below is the video information of the file.

Video
ID : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 1 h 57 min
Bit rate : 55.1 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.277
Stream size : 45.3 GiB (94%)
Language : English
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 2971 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 112 cd/m2

MrMC manage playback as Dolby Vision

Infuse still detect as HDR and playback as HDR

That is odd. It’s my understanding ATV4K only supports DV profile 5. Infuse is playing my profile 5 DV files on my ATV4K beautifully. I’d be curious to know if MrMC is converting your DV profile 4 to DV profile 5 somehow. Seems unlikely though.

I not sure and had no idea but MrMC do work successful. Maybe another possibility Profile 4 do is support by Apple TV?

Update: Hi, I got another film where this time it is dvhe 05.06 and this profile 5 success playback as Dolby VIsion in Infuse.

james
Any possible Infuse support dvhe 04.06 as well in future?
or do you have any idea anyway to convert dvhe 04.06 to dvhe 05.06

Appreciate much.

I notice you mentioned here Apple TV 4K only support Profile 5 but MrMC manage to playback Profile 4 as Dolby Vision. Maybe my guess Apple already support Profile 4? or MrMC use any method to trick profile 4 as profile 5? Haha! I had no idea.

MrMC had no issue playback both version of dvhe 04.06 and 05.06 as Dolby Vision but I don’t like MrMC, their interface is slow and sorting is not good. I prefer Infuse.

By the way, for more information I am using Apple TV 4K at LG C9 TV.

Anyone got any idea?

I try tsremux to demux and remux back, but the Dolby Vision is no longer there in HDR profile.

Any plan from Infuse for added more type of Dolby Vision profile?

Appreciate much.

I think you can upload this test file and ask Profile - james - Firecore for testing.

Would you be able to send in a sample we can review here?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, the file is too big, I not sure how to cut a part as once I cut the Dolby Vision layer will gone.

Can I PM you the original link? It show required 80 hours for upload as my country limit the upload speed. 80 hours is insanity too long.

Update: Now I got another Dolby Vision title which is dvhe.06.06 which is not support by Infuse also.

MrMC as usual no issue playback dvhe.06.06 as Dolby Vision.

In summary, I think Infuse only support dvhe.05.06 which is kind of too limited.

No choice, for now until Infuse support it. I need to use others player - MrMC.
Maybe the creator of Infuse should checkout MrMC.
I can’t upload it as the smallest one already is 48.2 GB

For the moment MrMC seems support any profile, at least it is support following profile I had tested out for the moment.

• dvhe.04.06
  • dvhe.05.06
  • dvhe.06.06

Since MrMC support it, I believe this is not Apple TV OS limitation anymore. Appreciate your site can check and update in future, thanks.

Andrewtst
You need upload samples, you need try find way to cut big file.

maybe ffmpeg

or head -c 19M 00000.m2ts > 00000cut.m2ts

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but I try and not working.

The Dolby Vision layer will gone once you touch the file, this include cutting, demux and remux.
The ffmpeg cut also make the Dolby Vision layer disappear.

I use following both way cut also cannot.

ffmpeg -ss 00:08:00 -i Tomb.ts -ss 00:01:00 -t 00:01:00 -c copy TombCut.ts
ffmpeg -ss 60s -i Tomb.ts -vframes 1800 -acodec copy -vcodec copy TombCut2.ts

I downloaded MrMC today to see for myself. It is indeed playing a file showing as 08.06 DV in MediaInfo triggering DV on my LG C9. Infuse played it HDR.

I think now can conclude MrMC manage to playback any profile of Dolby Vision and no limitation support of Dolby Vision profile in Apple TV 4K.

Not all because 07 is double layer.

At least MrMC is proper support all Single Layer Dolby Vision Profile, include Profile 6 where seems Dolby itself taken out.

I am getting a profile 7 video now, later will test out, I don’t put high hope on it, but hope miracle appear. Haha!

james
I found dvhe.04.06 and 06.06 file on makemkv forum you can check uploaded to dropbox done.

I dont have TV w DV and I cant confirm this file but Andrewtst niteflyr can test it in MrMC.

Just to provide some clarity here.

The Apple TV supports Dolby Vision Profile 5, but unfortunately does not support other profiles.

What this other app is doing here is simply switching the output to Dolby Vision and playing the HDR10 content. None of the extra DV info is actually making it to the TV.

You can get the same effect in Infuse by following these steps.

1. Manually switch output to Dolby Vision via Settings > Video and Audio
  2. Disable Dynamic Range matching via Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content
  3. Play these Dolby Vision files

The result is the Apple TV will stay in Dolby Vision mode while the HDR10 content is played, and tvOS will scale the HDR10 data to the DV range. This method can be used for these videos as well as normal (non-DV) HDR10 videos to achieve the same result.

2 Likes

Hmm interesting so Andrewtst and niteflyr the must compared colors :slight_smile:

My default setting is 4K SDR RGB High and match content on.

If you said MrMC simply switch, at least MrMC switch correctly Dolby Vision to Dolby Vision, HDR10 to HDR10 and it playback correctly.

When the film play at HDR10 using Infuse, the output is not better than MrMC playing at Dolby Vision. This show MrMC didn’t simply switch as you said.

2nd I try your method set default as Dolby Vision and match content off, in this case off course it will playback as Dolby Vision as SDR will also playback as Dolby Vision but the output from Infuse by doing this make the film look not correct with a bit over contrast and too dark.

I believe It is not good you said people work simply switch when you un-manage to make it.

I make a report here to let you all know the issue and hope you all can study and fixed it not simply ping point others people work. I not asking you must fix now and not forcing you to fix it, if unable to fix, it was ok, but it is not ok you point other people work simply switch.

I am truly disappointed, this is not a good developer attitude.

This is 2nd not good behavior already. 1st is white cover issue, your site just switch cover to black and make the white cover issue behave like solved. Now happen black cover issue and your site keep denying even though have some people submit the report to you, I also submit and I didn’t get any feedback on that as well except you point to TMDb that is causing issues. I mostly use self upload cover and this is happening to me using self upload cover.

Stop pointing fault to others as it wasn’t.

The Black Cover issue - Black Covers for movies are back!

Before this, similar issue but is in White Cover - Poster Art Turned White

Are you calling this solve? Changing blank cover from white to black doesn’t look solved to me.

Thanks for clearing this up James.