Doesn't Group TV show not in thetvdb

Don’t thank me yet. :slightly_frowning_face:

I just remembered we’re changing over to TMDB for TV show metadata and they don’t have it.

What I’ve personally done is excluded them from my library by adding them to a separate folder and then added the folder as a favorite. TMDb doesn’t have a “show” for this so once we leave tvdb that might break.

I then created a playlist with all of the Pixar movies and shorts in order.

Until we get custom collections I don’t think there’ll be any other option. They’re not really related except that they are Pixar and shorts. More likely to combine the movie they went with as the collection, but TMDb is more picky about things than tvdb.

Good to know about leaving TVDb. Has anyone tried creating a Collection in TMDb? I feel like that might be the best move in this case.

To be honest I sometimes get a little thrown with the new Library & Search tabs because they definitely work a bit differently on Apple TV vs iPad. I watch on both, but prefer to organize with iPad.

I haven’t but if you were so inclined you may be able to add it to the TV section of TMDB to match what TVDB has and then the transition would be invisable.

Apparently there are lists but those aren’t support led by infuse

1 Like

I’m pretty sure treating it as a TV show is the best option. I just don’t know how the move from thetvdb to themoviedb will effect work at creating data. It also scares me a bit that the data might be arbitrarily deleted that we create.

1 Like

Speaking of unique media types. What is everyone’s preferred setup for Home Videos / Web Videos / Movie Extras / etc?

I typically just keep them OFF of the Library index, but it would be nice to find a good way to incorporate them. Otherwise what is the point of the Other category…

I only use it to show me which video files I have aren’t correctly tagged (as tv shows or movies). Making sure the others list has zero items in it is the first goal each time I add files or refresh the metadata. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

My 32gb A1842 AppleTV 4K just flushed all my metadata again overnight (Infuse Pro 7.2.1 (3874), even though I have unused Apps offloaded and the only active Apps installed other than Infuse are YouTubeTV, YouTube, AppleTV+, and Hulu. Grrr.

Looks like someone at TMDB nuked the Pixar Shorts “TV Show” listing … so now all 38 titles from the three volumes of the collection are orphaned in “Other” again.

Can’t we please start allowing the user to lock in their metadata so changes made elsewhere don’t blow up our collections? I’ve been bending over backwards to get my collection organized in a way Infuse will accept to minimize the amount of repairs I need to perform every time the app randomly decides to dump it’s metadata and throw away all my work; and when after doing your best to figure out how to get your titles configured so that Infuse finally plays nicely with most of your collection; to have something like this, out of your hands be allowed to f—- it all up is extremely frustrating.

Unfortunately these, as with other cartoons are mostly listed as short movies and not tv shows. The tv show listing should not have been created in the first place and came from someone used to tvdb categorizatiom. TMDb is more strict. I would recommend renaming them to match movie syntax. If you don’t want them polluting your movies section I would put them in a separate folder, exclude it from library, then add as a favorite or to a playlist.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that, and that taking them out of the library, and renaming all 38, is the only solution that works.

But that solution stinks.

How about the authors of this app respect a users’ properly formatted .nfo files and allow users to sort things the way they want to? Can’t be that hard. The xml conventions already exist and are recognized by any number of similar library managers.

Having 4 assorted ATVs I feel your pain (often). If you want to help push the custom metadata idea for TV shows there’s a suggestion thread running here you can add your support to by liking the first post.

I know you thinned out the apps you have on the ATVs but often, the culprit is the apps that have big programming guides that they continually update. Think YouTubeTV, and Hulu. I believe both maintain a fairly large programing guide for future info.

I have gone into the ATV settings for background app refresh and turned off every app except for Infuse. That has caused my problems of clearing Infuse to drop a lot.

Screensavers take a lot of space too, so you can reduce how many are downloaded. And finally you can upgrade to 64GB. Might be Black Friday sales.

I don’t have LiveTV with Hulu, so no guide there. Background App refresh is only selected for Infuse. I haven’t been having a lot of resets lately as compared to before the advertised streamlining, but the fact that Infuse does such a perplexing poor job scraping the correct titles from TMDB as compared to my Kodi installation using the same API — and not just the TV shows I mentioned but with movies too, even, often in complete disregard of the year …. it’s super frustrating every time I have to rebuild.

Infuse could negate the whole problem by letting us back up our database to our servers that host our libraries. Doesn’t make sense I should have to pay Apple monthly for a few gigs of iCloud storage when I’ve got a 40TB NAS under my desk.

It also seems rather unwise to make it so easy for Apple — a mega-corporation in the business of producing and distributing expensive and proprietary media content after all — free unencrypted access to the index of our entire media libraries….

(I only started discovering how bad the movie scraping was when I started finding missing items from collections or searching movies by actor or director — because Infuse respects my .nfos and .jpgs for movies, the titles show up with the correct names and art work … it’s only with you dig in do you realize Infuse is using the metadata from completely different movies.

I have a ton of photos on my phone of the errors I’ll get around to posting at some point, when I figure out how to.)

My Infuse library currently consists of just under 3,000 movies and 6,400 episodes of TV which the app reports results in 2.6 GB of metadata on the completion of indexing. 32 GB should be more than enough space to run the four apps mentioned.

Yes it should. Have you checked how much free space is available though?

My AppleTV doesn’t seem willing to share how much free space it has, nor how much it is using. There is nothing in “About” apart from the model number (A1842) and installed memory capacity of 32GB. The only items list in “General / Manage Storage” are the following four items:

Infuse: 114.6 MB
YouTubeTV: 111.1 MB
YouTube: 105.5 MB
Hulu: 65 MB

Of course, Infuse reports holding 2.7 GB of metadata on completion of importing my library; so who knows where the heck Apple is pulling that “114.6 MB” figure from.

There is an app you can download. Something like tvstorageinfo or something. Can’t remember or check at the moment

1 Like

I believe they only show the actual size of the app itself, not the temp memory the app takes.

1 Like

Okay. Found the “TV Info” app. Not terribly helpful in that it doesn’t say what’s using the space but I’ll have to assume it’s screen savers … which of course Apple doesn’t allow you to delete.

So I’m going through the tedious process of trying to load up my device with data I will later be able to delete in order to force the screensavers to delete. Good times…

1 Like