Does Infuse Output DV from MacBook Pro to External Device?

Hi there,

I know that Infuse outputs DV via iPad to an external monitor / TV like the LG C2 via the Apple AV Adapter because I have tried it and it works. When I tried to do the same via the HDMI of my MacBook Pro, the most I could do is enable HDR on the MacBook Pro settings for the external device and the playback from the LG C2 is only HDR.

I also read that the MacBook Pro natively only outputs HDR10 via its HDMI port regardless of the source.

My question is can/does Infuse passthrough DV metadata to an external display to allow for DV playback like the iPad or is HDR10 the only option? If it can, can someone provide me some guidance on how to do it?

Thank you so much in advance for your replies.

E

It’s an HDMI limitation. If you have a newer MBP maybe you can do 30hz Dolby vision through an external adapter.

Have to test but the linked article is pretty bad. It wrongly states that HDMI 2.0 does not support 4K60 HDR.

HDMI 2.0 does support 4K60 HDR, including HDR10 and Dolby Vision. My TV (2018 LG 55B8S) supports HDMI 2.0, not 2.1, and it certainly supports 4K60 HDR10 and Dolby Vision (as for example with my Apple TV 4K).

1 Like

It appears there is no Dolby Vision support on macOS external displays, except for the Apple Pro Display XDR.
The page Play HDR video on Mac - Apple Support states that “Dolby Vision and HLG are converted to HDR10 when viewed on other HDR10-compatible external displays”.

I have no idea whether this changes with macOS Ventura.

So I suppose it is quite impossible for Infuse to output Dolby Vision on a Mac on an external display other than the Pro XDR.
I have no idea whether Infuse’s HDR10 output from a Mac to an external display works well, including Dolby Vision to HDR10 conversion, but it works well on iOS/iPadOS and tvOS.

I guessed as much. Just wanted some confirmation from the experts here. I have tried using the adapter with the MacBook Pro to test using hdmi2.1 but no luck there as well.

So it must be an inherent limitation of Mac OS. Regardless Infuse works perfectly outputting DV via iPad or Apple TV.

It depends on whether it’s HDMI 2.0, 2.0a or 2.0b. Irregardless it’s a hardware or software limitation with the MacBook Pro HDMI port on apples part.

No it is not a hardware limitation of the HDMI port.
If it can output HDR10, it can output DV.
Or do you have any date to back up this claim?