DO THIS NOW - backup your SHSH Blobs - pre jailbreak

Follow these instructions.  Before you start doing any jailbreak work, and before you even think of jailbreaking.  If you can not do at least this, DO NOT attempt a jailbreak.  It gets more complicated from this point on.

http://support.firecore.com/entries/359097-saving-shsh-blobs

This should be the first thing you do with an APPLE TV V2 (black) once you buy one.  This will supposedly work with any apple tv.  Regardless of what version of software (4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, etc.) this supposedly will work.  Will report back on if this is true.

The procedure can be done with an WINDOWS connected or a MAC connected apple tv.  TINYUMBRELLA comes in versions for each machine. 

I cannot get the tinyumbrella to reconized my ATV. (with the micro USB cable)

I can see it in iTune but no in tiny

I tried with the mac version , but it crashed, I tried the command line sudo stuff he recommands but with no success.

any idea?

Ypu need to connect the powert cord also for tiny umbrella to recognize your ATV2g

[quote="lavc528"]

Ypu need to connect the powert cord also for tiny umbrella to recognize your ATV2g

[/quote]

wow.  power cord and usb-cable  both connected.  that is new.

Any update on your jailbreak attempt?

I have an ATV2 running 4.1 that I just received.  I am considering updating to 4.2.1 and giving the JB a try.

Not trying to jailbreak.  Will not even attempt that.  Just trying to backup the SHSH blobs.  And have not had time yet.

I've got the same TU issues, it throws a JAVA exception (see below).

Here's what I do:

1. Start TU, "Show all SHSHs" in left hand pane is de-selected, the "Save SHSH" button is greyed out

At this point the JAVA exception occurs and is written to the log file.

<-- snip -- umbrella.log -->

JNA: Callback com.semaphore.jna.idevice.win.WinDeviceLibrary$WinRecoveryDeviceConnectedCallback@13d28e3 threw the following exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.semaphore.jna.idevice.win.WinRecoveryDevice.getIMEI(WinRecoveryDevice.java:58)

at com.semaphore.TinyUmbrella.onRecoveryDeviceConnected(TinyUmbrella.java:1596)

at com.semaphore.jna.idevice.win.WinDeviceLibrary$WinRecoveryDeviceConnectedCallback.invoke(WinDeviceLibrary.java:97)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.jna.CallbackReference$DefaultCallbackProxy.invokeCallback(CallbackReference.java:384)

at com.sun.jna.CallbackReference$DefaultCallbackProxy.callback(CallbackReference.java:414)

at com.sun.jna.Function.invokeInt(Native Method)

at com.sun.jna.Function.invoke(Function.java:344)

at com.sun.jna.Function.invoke(Function.java:276)

at com.sun.jna.Library$Handler.invoke(Library.java:216)

at $Proxy2.AMRestoreRegisterForDeviceNotifications(Unknown Source)

at com.semaphore.jna.idevice.win.WinDeviceLibrary.addNotificationHandler(WinDeviceLibrary.java:62)

at com.semaphore.service.DeviceListenerService.run(DeviceListenerService.java:78)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

<-- snip -- end of umbrella.log -->

Supporting info.

My aTV is running the original v4.0 (vanilla), I'm running Windows XP SP3, iTunes v10.1.1.4, the latest TU 4.21.02, power + micros USB connected to aTV.

Has anyone got an idea as to why I'm getting the JAVA exception?

Many thanks

I did the same thing…start program…plug in ATV via micro USB and plug in power as well…got the message you got till I put ATV in dfu mode…then it worked fine…google ATV dfu mode …I think it’s menus and the right navigation bottom…hope this helps

Using TinyUmbrella 4.21.02 on Windows 7 PC

SHSH Blobs saved are 4.2 (8C150) *and* 4.2.1 (8C154) (according to the screen shot)

(haven't updated to 4.1.1)

Connected AppleTV (in sleep mode) & still connected to Power Lead via microUSB - waited for PC to recognise & install driver - then allowed tinyumbrella do it's job - recognised straight away, "save SHSH" ready to go

The only issue I would say is to allow Windows Firewall access for tinyumbrella - other than that, no probs

Hope this is helpful

P.S. IT IS IMPORTANT TO STATE VERSION OF TINYUMBRELLA BEING USED!

Thanks DC-ZOL 

thx. It's reboot by holding down menu and down for 6 seconds till you see lights blinking fast, then quickly press menu and play for 7 seconds. Then ATV should show up in tinyumbrella for a backup.

Would be nice if firecore team had proper directions for this.

Apple TV 4.1.1

TinyUmbrella 4.2.1.02

iTunes 10.2

Mac

Apologies for the delay in responding, currently away with limited access etc. etc.

I'll give the DFU a go when I get back.

Thanks again.

[quote="ClimbAZ"]

thx. It's reboot by holding down menu and down for 6 seconds till you see lights blinking fast, then quickly press menu and play for 7 seconds. Then ATV should show up in tinyumbrella for a backup.

Would be nice if firecore team had proper directions for this.

Apple TV 4.1.1

TinyUmbrella 4.2.1.02

iTunes 10.2

Mac

[/quote]

Guys ... good news, I've managed to save my SHSH (8C150 + 8C154).  Thanks again for your help.

A quick question. I saved my blobs but wondering how to restore. (starting over with Plex)

I noticed there's a factory restore available right in iTunes. So wondering what's the big difference with restoring in iTunes and with umbrella

thanks!