Did I just brick three Apple TV 2's? (rapid blinking after jailbreak)

So I've jailbroken a couple of Apple TV's in the past and did something pretty stupid to 3 (yes THREE) Apple TV's. Each of them is flashing rapidly and none of them seem to boot when connected to my TV.

I ran Seas0npass v0.9.5 (775) on all of them. I followed the instructions here: http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

Unlike the last time I jailbroke ATV2's with Seas0npass years ago, iTunes didn't open as part of a script to install the modified IPSW on the device. The IPSW didn't appear to save to my desktop. I just assumed this was how Seas0npass works these days.

Any how, I got a "firmware restore successful" message and (very stupidly) performed the process for the other two ATV's I had without testing them. When I connected them via HDMI, each just flashes quickly and they don't boot.

For some reason I couldn't save SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella, so I just skipped that step.

The ATVs were running different versions, but two of them were on iOS6: Apple TV2 software 5.1 (5201).

Did I brick these devices? Any ideas?

If you followed the forum post you quoted it neglects to point out that you RIGHT click the CREATE IPSW icon and go to the BOTTOM of the list for version 5.3, not anything else.....all will be good.

What about connecting the ATV2 with a power cord until it's recognized by the 2-button connection---then remove the power cord quickly.  That also may be necessary.

By two button connection do you mean the play/menu for 7 seconds to enter DFU mode thing?
It's always in DFU or recovery mode now—all three of them are.

Here's what I tried:

• Trying Seas0nPass (0.9.5) with all atv firmware versions offered: starting with 4.4.1 all the way to 5.3. Only 5.3 passed the check.
  • Trying this on different computers (both of them running OSX 10.8 though, latest iTunes 11.1.5(5)).
  • Trying this with only a powered micro USB cable as well as with both the micro USB and the OEM power cable.
  • Starting the process with both the power cable and micro USB plugged in and then unplugging the power cable right after if verifies that the device is in DFU mode.
  • Using Tiny Umbrella to kick the device out of DFU/recovery mode (ECID configured manually, it does detect the device, just can't kick it out of DFU).
  • Trying to alt-restore to 5.3 in iTunes using an IPSW I downloaded from a third party. iTunes tells me my Apple TV isn't eligible for restore with that IPSW.

The strangest thing is that this is happening to THREE Apple TV's, so it isn't an isolated incident.

I don't get any iTunes errors or anything (in fact, iTunes never even opens, but it tells me the jailbreak was successful).

Thanks, I tried it with 5.3 and the ATV is still stuck in DFU mode. Any ideas?

The strange part is that I got a </plist> XML tag as the output from Seas0npass when the process completed—weird, right?

restore one of them to factory that's the only way to be certain because you are running the correct verison of seasonpass. once you restore it and everything is fine proceed with the jb again

[quote=orvn]

a couple of Apple TV's in the past and did something pretty stupid to 3 (yes THREE) Apple TV's. Each of them is flashing rapidly and none of them seem to boot when connected to my TV.

I ran Seas0npass v0.9.5 (775) on all of them. I followed the instructions here: http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

Unlike the last time I jailbroke ATV2's with Seas0npass years ago, iTunes didn't open as part of a script to install the modified IPSW on the device. The IPSW didn't appear to save to my desktop. I just assumed this was how Seas0npass works these days.

Any how, I got a "firmware restore successful" message and (very stupidly) performed the process for the other two A

Additionally, re-download Seas0nPass program---it may have become corrupted?!?

[quote="micheal96"] restore one of them to factory that's the only way to be certain because you are running the correct verison of seasonpass. once you restore it and everything is fine proceed with the jb again [/quote]

Should I restore with the 5.3 IPSW or the 5.1 (they were originally on 5.1/ iOS6)?

I tried getting the 5.3 IPSW and alt-restoring through the latest version of iTunes, but it said it was incompatible. I got the IPSW's from here: http://www.iclarified.com/970/appletv-firmware-download-locations

If I just restore through iTunes it'll update to the latest version.

[quote="tnvolunteer"] Additionally, re-download Seas0nPass program---it may have become corrupted?!? [/quote]

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The only thing I can think of that I did different was that I moved Seas0npass.app into the OS X /applications directory before I began any of this (on both computers).

Update thru iTunes to the latest firmware then jailbreak with back to untethered 5.3

alos, look at the YouTube video as it will tell you when to pit power cord in.

[quote="jagrim"]

Update thru iTunes to the latest firmware then jailbreak with back to untethered 5.3

[/quote]

I would need SHSH blobs first, to revert back to 5.3, yes?

[quote="orvn"]

[quote=jagrim]

[/quote]

I would need SHSH blobs first, to revert back to 5.3, yes?

[/quote]

you don't need blobs because apple is still signing 5.3 update it in itunes which will take it to 7,1 then after you confirm it works put it in season pass right click select 5.3

if after the restore in itunes if it doesn’t work then we will go from there but I can tell you it’s not going to be good

[quote="micheal96"]

you don't need blobs because apple is still signing 5.3 update it in itunes which will take it to 7,1 then after you confirm it works put it in season pass right click select 5.3 if after the restore in itunes if it doesn't work then we will go from there but I can tell you it's not going to be good

[/quote]

Thanks! I'll try this later today.

Okay, so it did manage to restore & update in iTunes and is working fine (unjailbroken) on Apple TV Software version 6.1.1 (which I'm guessing is iOS 7.1).

I'll now try using Seas0npass to Jailbreak and sign it back to 5.3.

Success!

Restoring and updating in iTunes and then using Seas0npass to Jailbreak 5.3 worked after I pulled the power cable (but keeping the powered micro USB plugged) during the first upload of the.dfu file (the next step after setting the device in DFU mode).

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.