Delay in jailbreaking ATV iOS 6 ?

Just curious about the status of jailbreaking either 5.1 (6.0) or the recently released 5.1.1 (6.0.1) … Are efforts being held off in favour of focusing on an ATV3 jailbreak ? Currently only 5.1 (6.0) has a TETHERED jailbreak it seems (via redsn0w).

Not a huge set of features to miss out on, but being able to reorganize the icons, multiple iTunes accounts and more robust network settings would be a nice bonus. “Up Next” support in 5.1.1 (6.0.1) would be nice too.

I’m hoping to get my ATV2 within a few weeks and was wondering about this as well. I’m more concerned about the Hulu Plus app not working over ethernet which I’ve heard is the case, and apparently now does work now on the latest firmware. 

Old thread, I know. But discovered that seas0npass jailbreaks latest 5.1.1 (iOS6 really) on ATV2. You just need to download the .ipsw firmware file and in seas0npass do option+click on the ‘Create IPSW’ button and select the firmware file you downloaded.

This is a tethered jailbreak but untethered probably won’t be available until the next iPhone/iPad jailbreak is released.

Now that the media player etc has iOS6 support this works pretty well. Not without its bugs though so do be cautious if you value stability.

:slight_smile:

You could always downgrade back to 5.0.2 (5.1.1) for an untethered jailbreak.

I could but I deliberately updated to 5.2 (6.0.1) because I wanted to play about with the new features and since I never reboot untethered doesn’t actually make any difference. (Also, already got another ATV2 on 5.0.2/5.1.1)

how soon in the pipie line will apple tv 3rd gen will it be jailbreak i just bought one hope so please get this up and running for all of us  good luck

The ATV3 jailbreak is not Firecore, it is, quite literally, the jailbreaking community, specifically a handful of people that reverse engineer Apple’s incredible (but not fool-proof!) security to allow modifications like Firecore to work.

And ATV3 jailbreak related concerns shouldn’t be (really) directed at Firecore, however it is quite obvious that it is in their best interests to get a JB up and running as soon as possible.

Would love to be able to use iOS 6 (5.1.1) UNTETHERED as soon as possible.

-timeimp