Deinterlacer Option

Hi :slight_smile:

It would be great if Infuse get a Deinterlace-Option for Interlace Videos!

The new MrMC (Kodi) App, has an Deinterlacer, this works great but the GUI from this App is very ugly/userunfriendly…

I like to see a Deinterlacer direct in Infuse, this would be a Great Addition!! :slight_smile:

+1, but 2x only (30i > 60p).

The deinterlace Option could be implemented in Infuse by swiping down from the top, and then as Option to select deinterlace!

This would be awesome :slight_smile:

It’s a little complicated, but in the past I recall we had to leave this out due to license compatibility issues.

MrMC is licensed a bit differently, and as a result they can do a few things we can’t, and vice versa.

But a Deiterlacer is really significant…!!!

Older TV Series are all in Interlaced Format… And if this Option is not available directly in Infuse, the Users all must convert the Videos first manually with a programm on the Computer :frowning:

But a De-Interlacer is just a function that has to be “programmed” with some Lines of Program-Code…
This has nothing to do with Licensing issues…?!

+1, can’t understand why deinterlacer can’t be added by license limitation. Interlace is part of Dolby now?

So, a deeper look into this seems the license may have changed recently, which may put us in a position to add this after all.

Stay tuned!

Ok great! :slight_smile:

Just to clarify:
Deinterlacing has nothing to do with Dolby or a “Licensing product”…

Its a function to Play older video with Interlaced Lines on a modern Flat-TV

Here is a Link:

Right. This has nothing to do with Dolby.

Previously, the preferred deinterlacing filter was licensed under the GPL license, which is not compatible with Infuse. However, it looks as though this was recently relicensed under the LGPL license which is compatible.

Port to your own implementation. Must be in Metal powered shader for fast results.

Just joined so late reply. I think there is value in the future for deinterlacing/scaling module but making it sound like something easy you can add in a few lines of code is not true. Once you open this door many questions/features will come to the table. Doing a good interlacer/reinterlacer and scaler for movie freaks has given many hard and software designers about 10 years of headache before some of their implementations became stable (that are now mostly default in scaler/deinterkace chips).

Daniel.

“But a De-Interlacer is just a function that has to be “programmed” with some Lines of Program-Code…”

Sorry, but do you really know how interlaced formats worked ? , a quick and dirty some lines of code is totally waste of time !

for example:
you have to handle tv-shows and movies different, because in the past they use mostly two different half pictures in tv-shows, and in movies they used two exactly the same half pictures (thats the reason why in the past the tv-shows looked more fluid in movement and movies not), when you deinterlace it, you have two handle both different, also you have to add an additional filter for deinterlaced movies otherwise it will look stuttering.
Then you have to handle PAL and NTSC different, best deinterlaced effect is the combination of PAL and movie (with exactly the same half pictures)

so a quick and dirty deinterlacing is totally garbage.

maybe your tv has a hardware deinterlacer ?

The AppleTV can not handle Interlace Videos self…
The Deinterlacing must be made from the Infuse Software.

All tv’s/displays have some kind of deinterlacers these days if they can display any interlaced content (like 1080i) they must since there are no display types anymore that are interlaces by design. Interlacing was a hardware compression trick that worked because tubes don’t remove content quickly and it could trick the eye into seeing a whole image while in reality only 50% was shown. It saved bandwith.

If as beta testers we want to help we could look into if Apple has deinterlacers in their software (i never checked) and how many lines of ‘code’ it would take. As i and you posted its not easy party because there are many formats for interlaced content that need to be handled and party because many people in the industry didn’t follow the rules of how to encode them and shipped badly interlaced dvd’s. Infuse could use either a software package (opensource maybe) or something from apple todo it and it might indeed be a few files. The bigger problem is that most of us would like to see deinteracing to get 24p signals and that at the moment seems to be blocked by apple on the output side.

Personally i think infuse should keep a list of features like this that they would like to support in say a year when most of the basic functions and gui is done and near perfect and start working on a ‘cinema’ version that does things to a much higher level only needed for a smaller group of users. There is clearly room in the market for this since now most of them use big and clunky htpc for that job.

Daniel.