Crystal HD... What is it?

I see you have added Crystal HD to the atvFlash package. Great! What is it? A quick web search indicates that it is a piece of hardware that allows for 1080p HD video playback. So, since the AppleTV obviously doesn’t have this, then how does the software being on the AppleTV help us?

Many thanks!

The Broadcom (CyrstalHD) card can be installed on any AppleTV, however this will replace the wifi card, so if you rely on a wireless connection it may not be an ideal option.

Very cool! I don’t need WiFi in mine. Does that mean that with the Crystal HD card that I could playback H.286 files that were encoded as 1080p files? What about playing back BDMV folders and/or ISO disc images ripped directly from Blu-ray discs?

Is it possible to use a USB Wireless-N adapter for Wifi? If not, could this possibly be an upcoming feature? That would be the ideal solution!

I assume you mean h.264? If so yes, although it can’t be played in “native” aTV yet, but through XBMC it works fine.

Is it possible to use a USB Wireless-N adapter for Wifi? If not, could this possibly be an upcoming feature? That would be the ideal solution![/quote]
I haven’t tried, but even n will struggle with streaming 1080p without latency issues.

You’re right about streaming 1080p - however, if Wifi was available for “Normal” functioning of the ATV (not high bandwidth streaming), it would make me more likely to pull the mini pci card and put in a Crystal

Well, I use the Ethernet jack, and I use the USB port for an external drive. Therefore, If I remove the WiFi card and insert a Crystal HD card in it’s place, then I should be able to play 1080p files, but can I play them through Nito and from iTunes (on the External HD), or will they only play via XBMC? I’m not streaming.

Thanks

P.S. I see that you can pick one up here: http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970012

But if I install this in my AppleTV, do I have to do anything else?

Yes if you add the crystal card in place of the wifi card you will only be able to access network/internet through your Ethernet port. if you want Wifi enabled again you would need to utilize a USB wifi dongle. (not sure if you could use a USB hub for this).

All you need is the HD card as far as hardware goes.
Follow the steps that are detailed in other threads. http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2469&start=40 (dont skip step #5)

I got mine, took about 25 minutes to do everything and it works good with the newest downloads. I have seen a few hiccups when opening Boxee it freezes the box, but after tweaking a few settings it seems to be fine now.