Create custom TV series using NFO/XML files

Hi, I just noticed that the above procidure is no longer as stable as it used to be :frowning:
As episode names and description are no longer scraped and images for seasons are not displayed on apple tv but on iPad.

Very sad to see how the platform behaves so different!

This might be that thetvdb.com is no are about to be phased out.

An alternative solution could be to nest collections
You do a collection by naming a folder with square brackets with the name as you want it to display in Infuse [CollectionName]

If you want an image for your collection you just place a folder.jpg in each collection as you see fit, use poster/portrait format.

In the collection folder you can place videos, or another set of collections, or a combination of videos and collections. I don’t know how many levels you can nest, I just tried two levels so far… but I can’t see a reason for multiple levels to work.

1 Like

So, like…

dir/ [MIT S.601] / Lecture_1.mkv, Lecture_2.mkv, … ?

Correct, and if you like.
[Math]
___folder.jpg
___intro.mkv
___[MIT S.601]
______folder.jpg
______Lecture_1.mkv
______Lecture_2.mkv
___[MIT S.602]
______folder.jpg
______Lecture_1.mkv
______Lecture_2.mkv
[Chemistry]
___folder.jpg
___[MIT S.301]
______folder.jpg
______Lecture_1.mkv
______Lecture_2.mkv
___[MIT S.302]
______folder.jpg
______Lecture_1.mkv
______Lecture_2.mkv

or what make sense…

1 Like

As you now switched to TMDB and I made a rescan of my meta data I now try to scrape my custom TV shows from TMDB where they don’t exist.

I had them created in theTVDB.com and infuse did a half good job of scraping from there, until I flushed my metadata.

TMDB has a “bible” and TV shows not adhering are flushed by the moderator at TMDB, so we cannot add our own (even though it doesn’t explicitly fail the bible, but if the moderator think they are close to fail they are removed as well, so not forgiving solution).

Can I somehow get my custom TV shows back?

• Can I point one series to scrape from theTVDB.com?
  • Will you fix manual xml/nfo support for TV shows?

I moved you post to a currently running thread in the suggestions forum for custom TV metadata.

Don’t forget that you need to click the like button on the first post in this thread to show your support for this suggestion! :wink:

I hate their “Bible”.

They have a backward view on “Collections”. So, you can’t have a collection like Marvel Cinematic Universe, because according to the bible, “Collections should only be used for true movie sequels”, and they are contemplating about implementing “a proper Universe feature in the future.” So, now, feel free to be stuck in a limbo.

1 Like

naming a folder with square brackets with the name as you want it to display in Infuse

What are the square brackets for? Seems to work also without the brackets.

Oh, That is how I have them named in my Library, I can’t find any documentation about that. I guess the 101 for meta data should be updated to include this.

Might be that I applied my personal style to sort collections on top in my library.

I have a folder for each movie as well, this way my collection folders sort above my regular movie folders.

Hey, I don’t think this works in Infuse. I’ve tried it. It doesn’t create any playlists or collections. Are you sure it works in Infuse and not some other media server like Jellyfin?

@James Could you please clarify if this is supported?

Hi,
This works for me, but I would like to make a correction.

Infuse do NOT recognize movies as collections by just grouping files in a folder. For infuse to treat files as a collection the source of the scrape (TMDB) need to group movies in to collections, i.e. not for you to have a say on.

The above works for my collection of files. To enable me to navigate a library were I can find collection-folders represented by folder-name (and folder.jpg), as if it was a collections. As I navigate into that folder, the next level movies are displayed, including next level of collection-folders, etc.

The use of [ square brackets ] is my personal preference to have collections listed before movies.

I have one library called Collections were I organize movies according to my collections how I want to see them. This way I can navigate Movies the way I want to.

The individual movies will be recognized as any other movie. Infuse will scrape the movie and show them under Infuse-collections according to scrape source (TMDB), i.e. not as I wish to organized them.

See a directory listing of my “Luc Besson” collections, where there are several individual movies and also some next level “collections”…
I chosen to place every movie in a separate folder, this make it easier (cleaner) for me to add my own artwork, subtitles and metadata when needed.

V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Angel-A
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Colombiana
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\folder.jpg
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\From Paris With Love
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Leon The Professional
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Lockout
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Lucy
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Nikita
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Big Blue
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Family
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Fifth Element
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Unleashed
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Wasabi
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[District B13]
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Angel-A\Angel-A.2005.1080p.BluRay.x264.AAC5.1.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Angel-A\Angel-A.2005.1080p.BluRay.x264.AAC5.1.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Colombiana\Colombiana.2011.Unrated.1080p.BluRay.x264.AAC.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\From Paris With Love\From Paris with Love.2010.1080p.BluRay.x265.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\From Paris With Love\From Paris with Love.2010.1080p.BluRay.x265.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Leon The Professional\Leon the Professional.1994.Extended.BrRip.x264.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Lockout\Lockout.2012.BrRip.x264.1080p.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Lockout\Lockout.2012.BrRip.x264.1080p.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Lucy\Lucy.2014.SWESUB.720p.BRRip.x264.AC3.mkv
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Nikita\Nikita.1990.1080p.bluray.6ch.hevc.x265.mkv
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Big Blue\The Big Blue.1988.Extended.BRRip.720p.x264.AAC.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Big Blue\The Big Blue.1988.Extended.BRRip.720p.x264.AAC.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Family\The Family.2013.1080p.BluRay.x264.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Fifth Element\The Fifth Element.1997.1080p.BluRay.mkv
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\The Fifth Element\The Fifth Element.1997.1080p.BluRay.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Unleashed\Unleashed.[Danny the Dog].2005.1080p.BrRip.x264.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Unleashed\Unleashed.[Danny the Dog].2005.1080p.BrRip.x264.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Wasabi\Wasabi.2001.720p.bluray.x264.mkv
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\Wasabi\Wasabi.2001.720p.bluray.x264.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[District B13]\District B13
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[District B13]\District B13 Ultimatum
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[District B13]\folder.jpg
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[District B13]\District B13\District B13.2004.BRRip.XviD.AC3.avi
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[District B13]\District B13 Ultimatum\District 13 Ultimatum.2009.BluRay.1080p.x264.AAC.5.1.mkv
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\folder.jpg
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\Taken
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\Taken 2
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\Taken 3
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\Taken\Taken.2008.1080pBrRip.x264.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\Taken\Taken.2008.1080pBrRip.x264.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\Taken 2\Taken 2.2012.EXTENDED.1080p.BluRay.x264.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taken]\Taken 3\Taken 3.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\folder.jpg
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 2
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 3
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 5
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi\Taxi.1998.BluRay.720p.DTS.x264.mkv
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi\Taxi.1998.BluRay.720p.DTS.x264.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 2\Taxi 2.2000.720p.BluRay.H264.AAC.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 2\Taxi 2.2000.720p.BluRay.H264.AAC.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 3\Taxi 3.2003.720p.BluRay.H264.AAC.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 3\Taxi 3.2003.720p.BluRay.H264.AAC.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 4\Taxi 4.2007.DirectorsCut.720p.BluRay.H264.AAC.mp4
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 4\Taxi 4.2007.DirectorsCut.720p.BluRay.H264.AAC.srt
V:\collections\[_Luc Besson_]\[Taxi]\Taxi 5\Taxi 5.2017.FRENCH.BDRip.XviD.avi

This is ridiculous. Totally ridiculous.

@james, just provide the relevant features and documentation for us to use our own local metadata files - for movies, TV shows and collections - and stop wasting all of our time.

This has been going on for YEARS now. Enough.

8 Likes

Indeed, tmdb is very unfriendly to non-standard or self compiled collections. Instead of letting users follow you to change online metadata services, it’s better to support the local metadata of TV dramas that have been chatting for several years

2 Likes

Any ideas as to the best way to cause a TV series that does not appear in TMDB to group into seasons/espisodes on Infuse in iOS? The series cannot be added to TMDB (it does not qualify, long story). I don’t care about art or information, just grouping so that every episode does not appear as a separate entry in Files. (The files are presently named Series Name S01E01, Series Name S01E02… Series Name S02E01, Series Name S02E02, etc.)

I moved your post to a currently running thread in the suggestions forum requesting this feature.

Don’t forget that you need to click the like button on the first post in this thread to show your support for this suggestion! :wink:

You can add them in a folder, then add an image folder.png to make it look nice, almost as a collection. If you browse by folders you will then have one entry for all those episodes.
If you browse in other ways you will see each individual episode.

Is there a “browse by folders” in iOS? I can’t find one.

Tmdb is very unfriendly to personalized needs. It has been discussed for several years. When can we establish local metadata for TV dramas? Why should online metadata with poor experience be the only solution?!

My official reply to tmdb means: “You already have entries, but a lot of information is missing, and the chapter introduction is blank. I just need to facilitate the people who also need to build my own film library. If it’s not because infuse doesn’t provide local drama metadata, I have to cooperate with you. I’m also reluctant to enter the introduction, upload screenshots and create entries on your website after watching each episode. If you’re not a robot, please consider this practical problem.”

2 Likes

Why don’t firecore/Infuse host its own db for our custom series/movies/compilation if you refuse to add proper support for local xml/info files?

3 Likes

It’s really urgently necessary to give us the possibility to create custom TV-Shows! And make us completely independent from TMDB!

1 Like