Connecting

Hi, I am interested about Infuse so I downloaded it onto my new Apple TV 4 but I cannot figure out how to connect to my Mac. It recognizes it over SMB but it wants a username and password which I am not sure what for. Is it for a wi fi connection to my Mac? I have an older Mac (2007) and don’t have a wi fi connection on it, nor is my new Apple TV. Both use an ethernet wired connection so why a password? I have the free version of Infuse but want to see how it works before going further and learning how it works. The address is my name with a -iMac.local. I tried to use the 10.0…etc but when it found my Mac changed it to the local address. Still, I don’t know what to put into the johnappleseed username and password fields. When I try to save it, I get a message that says, checking connection and then An error occurred Your username and password combination isn’t right. Please try again. Close. Anybody know what I’m doing wrong?

Can’t figure out how to post either.

The username and password you want to enter here are the ones you use to login to your Mac. These will be required to access files stored there.

Also, you will want to first ensure SMB File Sharing is enabled. More info here.

That’s what I thought but I don’t use a username or password to log into my Mac. I tried already but I can’t save my connection settings in Infuse without it coming up with an error about the username and password being incorrect. And I did enable SMB in file sharing on my Mac, that’s how I can see it in the shares page but can’t save it for nothing. I see the wifi inside a cloud with what looks like a Mac (not mine) and a drawing of the new Apple TV. SMB is already in the protocol field and the address is my name with a-iMac.local.

Ok, it works! I had to choose the options button from the file sharing and fill in my username and password for it to get in. Very nice! Thank you!!

I’m in the same boat, here. Newb. Paid $9.99 from the Apple TV App Store. My efforts thus far to connect to any of my sources have been unsuccessful.

Please provide a basic users guide for ATV4 Infuse Pro.

Do you have a Mac? I know that if you use a Windows PC source you need to use Workgroup.

I’m on a Mac, yes.

I was able to eventually figure out how to connect.

That said, it does not seem that as many file formats as I was led to believe were supported are.

…still experimenting.

I’ve not been able to figure it out yet, can you update how you solved it…thank you!

I’m out for the day, but if no one else beats me to it, I’ll happily share how I, as a noob, got connected, when I get home, later tonight.

Assuming you are on a Mac, go to system preferences and choose Sharing. You’ll see file sharing in the list and check it. It’ll say File Sharing: On with a green dot in front. Below, you’ll see the files shared and also Options… Click on it and Share files and folders using SMB should be checked as well as AFP just below that. Down in the box below that, you’ll see your name, which is your username. Check the On box to the left of your name and you should get a prompt to ask for your input your name and password respectively. Then, you go back into Infuse settings and put in the same username and password. It worked for me even with a space between my first and last name. Good luck.

Assuming you are on a Mac, go to system preferences and choose Sharing. You’ll see file sharing in the list and check it. It’ll say File Sharing: On with a green dot in front. Below, you’ll see the files shared and also Options… Click on it and Share files and folders using SMB should be checked as well as AFP just below that. Down in the box below that, you’ll see your name, which is your username. Check the On box and you should get a prompt to ask for your input your name and password respectively. Then, you go back into Infuse settings and put in the same username and password. It worked for me even with a space between my first and last name. Good luck.[/quote]

Thank you!

I had everything set as you describe, however, I cannot click on my username in the box below the SMB and AFB checkboxes. I can connect to other Macs on my network and vice versa, so I am googling this to see if I can help myself…

I tried with another Mac and I can connect no problem with my Macbook Air. So I just need to sort out the problem with the username and I should be good to go…

Ok, got that sorted out…working great now.

Assuming you are on a Mac, go to system preferences and choose Sharing. You’ll see file sharing in the list and check it. It’ll say File Sharing: On with a green dot in front. Below, you’ll see the files shared and also Options… Click on it and Share files and folders using SMB should be checked as well as AFP just below that. Down in the box below that, you’ll see your name, which is your username. Check the On box and you should get a prompt to ask for your input your name and password respectively. Then, you go back into Infuse settings and put in the same username and password. It worked for me even with a space between my first and last name. Good luck.[/quote]

Thank you!

I had everything set as you describe, however, I cannot click on my username in the box below the SMB and AFB checkboxes. I can connect to other Macs on my network and vice versa, so I am googling this to see if I can help myself…

I tried with another Mac and I can connect no problem with my Macbook Air. So I just need to sort out the problem with the username and I should be good to go…

Ok, got that sorted out…working great now.[/quote]
Sorry, should have specified ,“Check the On box to the left of your name”.

Your instructions were fine, but I had something set wrong on my user account and once I unlocked that, I could then check the box. THANK YOU!!!

I had a similar problem - I could not check the box beside the name. The reason was - my account was set to use the password from iCloud. After setting the password to a “normal” password I was able to check the box beside the name.

Feels like I’ve tried every possible combination three times and yet I’m still unable to sign in.
-turned on sharing (can see green dot)
-using SMB and AFP
-can’t click the box next to my name as it’s greyed out
-getting “An error occurred Your username and password combination isn’t right.” Message

Vexed
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Solved… Separate passwords for iCloud and Computer
Go figure.

Can anyone help with a AppleTV/PC Router set up as follows please?

Infuse 4 (free)
TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Router (firmware updated and sharing on)
AppleTV 4
WD my Book essential 3TB (firmware updated and formatted exFAT)
PC computer (Windows 10)

The AppleTV is hardwired to the router, the WD is hardwired to the router.

I don’t have a HomeGroup set up (wifi is working).

I don’t want to use my PC, I simply want to have the WD drive as a NAS.

Can you help with the IP/Setting/Sharing set up?

(I’ve tried: IP address + WORKGROUP + admin/admin)
Is it / or // or \192.XX.XX…?

I can see the WD as an SMB and the router is set to share as admin/admin.

I can see the WD as a + share option but cannot connect or see any files on the WD.

I only have 3 files on the WD (an mp3, mpg, jpg), but do not see these as I can’t connect to the WD due to permissions, authentication or sharing not being set up correctly.

Thank you,

I Synology NAS. It has a network address 192.168.xx.xx. Directly on NAS I have set the right user names and passwords. Then it does not matter from which device I want to connect to the NAS. Still I enter the same login information. I think that alone router has nothing in common.

Thanks Clony. I guess my issue is that I’m not sure where to create a user/pass on this external WD (no admin software for it that I know of.)

Maybe try creating another user for the router with admin privileges and a proper password (or, and this would be advisable anyway, change the user name from admin to something else and create a proper password). You also shouldn’t need the // just the ip of your router should be enough.