Confused by ATV version numbers / cannot seem to JB 4.2.1

Okay, I’ve really taken a lot of time to search this and other forums before I ask an old question.

I had been using my ATV unjailbroken since purchase since it seems that the latest iOS version is always the one not jail broken yet. However, with my last Apple update, is says Apple version 4.2.1 (was 4.1.1 previously) under the About option under settings. So does this mean iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.3?

I think this is where my problem lies since I tried GreenPoisi0n RC6.1 and went thru all the instructions (and even waited for > 30 min after completion) and when I plug my ATV into my TV (hdmi) I do not notice anything that suggests it has been jail broken. I works exactly as it did before with no added menus. Now i have to unplug and repower my ATV after i run the JB since my TV is in another room. But this JB should work since it’s unteathered. Right?

So i figure I am either not looking in the right place or I am just confused about the version numbers for the ATV versus iOS versions. Can someone please explain this to me?

I am a frustrated ATV owner who has yet to be able to use any of my Firecore software.

Marc

The AppleTV/iOS versioning is very confusing, but a breakdown of the version info can be found here.

Currently Seas0nPass is the only jailbreak app that supports AppleTV 4.2.1 (iOS 4.3) - though it's still tethered at the moment.

The latest version can be downloaded here.

sorry but there's no download link for that version on the page you link to james. I've got the same problems and i would like the exact iOS download (the version that can be jailbroken)

The download links on that page are for the Seas0nPass app itself.

The latest AppleTV software will be downloaded automatically when running Seas0nPass.

ok but then i'm still wondering why i can't jb, i get the itunes restore failed when i go with the seas0nPass app. There's no problem getting the ATV2 in DFU mode, but i just get the same error time efter time, that Itunes failed the restore. Do you know what it could be then, i'm running the latest Itunes as well....

I've tried for weeks now... 

[[wysiwyg_imageupload:51:]]this is my end result with seas0npass

[quote="james"]

The AppleTV/iOS versioning is very confusing, but a breakdown of the version info can be found here.

Currently Seas0nPass is the only jailbreak app that supports AppleTV 4.2.1 (iOS 4.3) - though it's still tethered at the moment.

The latest version can be downloaded here.

[/quote]

James,

According to your comments that you referenced:

AppleTV Version info:

• AppleTV 4.0 = iOS 4.1 (8M89)
  • AppleTV 4.1 = iOS 4.2.1 (8C150)
  • AppleTV 4.1.1 = iOS 4.2.1 (8C154)
  • AppleTV 4.2 = iOS 4.3 (8F191m)
  • AppleTV 4.2.1 = iOS 4.3 (8F202)

But when I run TinyUmbrella is tells me my saved SHSHs are:

• AppleTV 4.2 (8C150)
  • AppleTV 4.2.1 (8C154)
  • AppleTV 4.3 (8F191m)
  • AppleTV 4.3.1 (8F202)
  • AppleTV 4.3b1 (8F5148c)
  • AppleTV 4.3b2 (8F5153d)
  • AppleTV 4.3b3 (8F5166b) 

So, now I'm even more confused.  According to your comments, Apple TV 4.2.1 (as an example) correlates to iOS 4.3, but Tiny Umbrella tells me that Apple TV 4.2.1 is version 8C154 which you refer to as Apple TV 4.1.1.  So what's going on here?  I don't follow?

Knowing all this information, which SHSH blob should I restore to in order to do an unteathered jailbreak?

Lastly, when you say AppleTV and then give a version number, is this what I see under my About option from Settings menu or does this refer to the iOS version number?

Marc

I guess my last question would be ...

Once I figure out which SH blob to restore so that I can JB my ATV, can you spell out the EXACT process on how to restore my blob to my ATV using TinyUmbrella and iTunes?  I've read several posts and it's confusing the order of things, etc.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I have been having the exact same problem, although I am using greenpoison to JB my ATV2 since I am running OSX 10.5.8.  I have done it pretty much every way possible, (connected power/usb, usb only, connect before start/after, waited 40 seconds, 40 minutes...) still no luck.

if some one has done this succesfully, please let me know.

thanks

cheers

Looking at your numbers, Tiny Umbrella is reporting the iOS version number, not the firmware version that is reported by the Apple TV after it has been installed.