Choppy fullscreen playback in macOS Monterey on M1 Max

I can confirm after trying out 12.2b2 that the choppiness seems to be gone!

Thanks for the reply @skeijmel, it does sound like that was the underlying issue.

2 Likes

after more testing i still see stutters in windowed mode in 12.2b2 :frowning: .

[still stutters in windowed mode] Diagnostics: W1ZCS
just reported.

going to watch the rest of the movie full screen too see if it doesn’t happen there.

update:
15 minutes of watching and 3 stutters fullscreen
[two or three stutters watching full screen like 15 minutes] Diagnostics: 6VGV2
12.2b2 mac os

So sadly we are not out of the water yet. i either was very lucky not see stutters in my test movies.
but while watching a full movie didn’t have the time yet before. it still happens maybe less frequent!?

so my theory about the adaptive sync might have been wrong. anyway i will try a reboot too see if it helps and report back later.

update 2: [still full screen stutter after fresh reboot] Diagnostics: BN9ZV

i dont know if there is any timing in this log but it happened just before i send this log

1 stutter/micro freeze in 10 minutes of full screen movie watching.

so it looks like its not fixed only less frequent in fullscreen and in windowed mode just as frequent.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Choppy in 7.3.1

is there still beiing looked into this its rather quiet here :slight_smile:
there problems are still there

We still have an open issue on our end which is related to a system bug.

However, today’s 7.3.4 update includes a number of playback related improvements, so you might try updating to see if things are working better with your particular setup.

What are the changes? Do you have a change log published for Mac OS?

Hi James,

I’m using MacBook Pro 14" (M1Pro) and Mac 12.2.
Since a while ago, I’ve noticed drop frames when on fullscreen but play fine without drop frames on window mode.
Checked the “frame per second” using istats menu and it matches my eyes.
I’ve tested all kind of video and frame rate (vp9 4k60, AV14K60, hevc4k60, hevc4k24), on 7.3.3 and 7.3.4, they all have frame drop when on fullscreen. 24fps video drop to ~21fps and 60fps video drops to ~40fps as seen on istats menu.
You can check the screen recording attached which shows frame drops once enter full screen mode.

In Conclusion,
Promotion on fullscreen - drop frames
promotion on window - no drop frames
48/60Hz on fullscreen - no drop frames
48/60Hz on window - no drop frames

For me the update 7.3.4 didn’t change the choppy playback issue.

indeed same problems still here too on 7.3.4 sadly

If it helps, I’ve been having this issue on an external monitor. It occurs when set to fixed refresh, but goes away when I set it to variable refresh. However if there is anything in front of infuse (notification or anything) while in fullscreen, then the stuttering comes back. But with fullscreen + variable refresh it seems fine.

Latest Infuse.
Unusable on my MBP 16" M1 Pro with macOS 12.2.1 with ProMotion enabled.

Playing a 1080p 24p SDR video is so choppy and hurts my eyes.
Works OK if I manually set screen refresh rate to 48p.
…or use FF-works (FFmpeg) to put the video in a .mov container then play it with QuickTime Player.

I am a bit disappointed that this issue is not solved after 4 months. And would gladly help.

2 Likes

@james Can you share any info regarding this issue? Is it still being worked on? It is effectively making Infuse unusable for me at this point.

I can confirm this happens when using the integrated display of a 14” MBP configured with ProMotion, setting up a fixed refresh rate temporarily fixes the issue

@james It is highly unusual that such an issue remains unsolved here for so long.
There is not even a word about it in the “upcoming features” thread https://community.firecore.com/t/upcoming-features-updated-3-21-22/

Is there a reason for this?

I get excited with each update, hoping there’ll be a fix but still nothing. I’m using an M1 MacBook 14 Pro (not Max).

It’s annoying having to go into the settings and play guess the frame-rate each time I watch a video and then remember to switch back to ProMotion when I’ve finished. I was hoping the combination of MacOS 12.3 and the latest update to Infuse might fix it bud sadly not!

i Moved over to movist pro for the time beeing no problems there. no stutters or framedrops there and hdr works fine too. it’s indeed becomming frustrating it’s still not fixed.

1 Like

It was just tagged as researching a coupled days ago, so they’re looking into it! Just gotta be patient.

I might move over aswell and try MovistPro.

Does it have a skip to next and previous video button on the player Interface?

Also a stop button?

ofcource it has a stop button :wink: its has a lot more options and settings.
next and previous video is cmd + arrow key forward and back. just download it you get a trial week or something and ofc its m1 silicon app too.