Can't jailbreak my Apple TV2

I’ve been trying all day to jailbreak my new Apple TV, but have been going round in circles and it’s still not jailbroken.

I’ve been using the ATV2 for the last couple of days as standard and have updated the software to 4.4.2. Today I downloaded and purchased the ATV Flash software and Seas0n Pass and thought it would be a simple process to jail break it.

I’ve followed these instructions on your site :

How do I update?

Seas0nPass will default to the latest untethered version, which is currently 4.3. If you want to use Seas0nPass to update and jailbreak a newer version simply follow the steps below.

1. Download version 4.4.2 (9A336a) and save the IPSW in an easy to find location.
  2. Download the latest version of Seas0nPass.
  3. Open Seas0nPass then Option + click (Mac) or Shift + click (PC) the Create IPSW button and select the new IPSW file that was downloaded in step #1.
  4. Seas0nPass will complete the jailbreak and restore process automatically.
  5. After the restore is complete, move the AppleTV to your TV and follow the steps for performing a Tethered Boot.

When I get to part 4, season pass tells me that the “iTunes restore script successful” and then proceeds to open up iTunes where it pops up a window with 2 ipsw files. It seems to automatically choose one itself and then restore the ATV2 with Apple. 

The next part of the process is confusing me??? What I’ve done is plugged the ATV2 back into my TV and ran the aTV Flash software. It picks up my ATV2 OK, but then tell me it’s not jailbroken!

I’ve repeated the process about 6 times, on this final time I’m getting the following iTunes error : " The Apple TV could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600)

Could someone please give me simple steps on how to jailbreak and install the aTV Flash software please?

Thank you for your time.

Sam.

I wonder if you are using the wrong .ipsw file in step 4 and simply restoring the standard pre-failbreak firmnware?    If in iTunes you do a shift-click on Restore you will be able to slect the one to use.  The correct one should have SP as part of the filename.

Thanks for the reply. OK 6th time trying to jailbreak this thing and it proved unsuccessful again! Again, following the instruction to the letter above. I’ve created the custom ipsw which is 411.4mb. Everything goes great until part 4. Now I’m getting an error from the season pass software “iTunes restore script failed, selecting ipsw in finder” I then click on the new ipsw (411.4mb) and then iTunes restores the firmware.

When finished, I unplug the usb cable from iTunes, then connect ATV2 to my TV power it on and I get the iTunes logo to connect to iTunes.

Just totally baffled :frowning:

Sam.

If you used the 4.4.2 software, then this is a tethered boot and that would give the symptoms you describe… The thethered boot means that any time you lose power to the ATV2 it has to be connected to yor PC/Mac to complete the boot. This means that you need to have the PC/Mac close to where you are actually going to use the ATV2 as you cannot disconnect the power afterwards.

If you want an untethered boot to avoid this issue then you currently must use the 4.3 firmware. At some point SeasonPass is almost certain to be upgraded to support an untethered boot for 4.4.x firmware, but there is no ETA for when.

You are totally correct! It was a tethered boot that was required. I was misunderstanding what tethered actually meant. I thought that tethered meant just connecting the ATV2 to my MacBook Air. I didn’t realise that I had to power the ATV2 and plug in the usb to my Air and connect to my TV.

Everything is working perfectly now. The ATV2 is jail broken and I have the aTV Flash software installed with all the additional menu items. I just have to work out what each does and how to set them up for my needs.

Thank you so much for taking time to help me :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Sam.