I partially solved the problem this way:
- Restored AppleTV to factory default.
- Update to latest AppleTV software.
- Installed aTVFlash software (latest version just downloaded and installed in USB stick)
- On AppleTV main menu, went to NitoTV/Settings/InstallSoftware/Smart Installer. This downloaded a 10.4.9 update.
- Went back to NitoTV/Network, and my iMac is there as a mount.
- Selected it, and went to Create Manual Sharepoint. Entered usual parameters like SMB, user/password and the external hard disk on the iMac as the volume path.
- Clicked on Mount the volume and it mounted successfully.
- Saved the changes.
- Went to NitoTV/Network/Files and can see the mounted hard drive with the movies. Viewed a movie.
- Went back to NitoTV/Network and tried to mount the saved mount. Got huge error message on screen saying mount failed (I’ll copy the eror message later).
- Went back to NitoTV/Network/File, and the movies are still accessible!
What gives? I have repeated this twice and the result is always the same. The mount sharepoint will mount successfully first time but not subsequently, yet I could still see the movies listed. I want to add more sharepoints but am afraid I will completely lose the existing mounted sharepoint if I do so.
I must say, this aTVFlash software is a very difficult software to install and get right. No grandpa or grandma should buy it!
Regarding the hardware, I have a first generation AppleTV, a new 24" iMac running latest Snow Leopard, and for networking, I use an Apple Time Capsule. Encryption is WPA2.
I would appreciate any feedback on how to successfully mount a sharepoint each time. I have no problem connecting to iTunes and all its files and streaming. My problem is only with aTVFlash to connect to the external hard drive of the iMac.
I must say aTVFlash is a fantastic software for what it can do. Unfortunately, the setup to get things just right is not quite there yet. It requires too much technical knowledge to install and get it working.