Cannot access Internet Radio Stations :(

Greetings All,

I have a new issue with the native aTV2 Internet Radio player after upgrading to 4.4.4 and jail breaking using Seas0nsPass.

The problem is quite simple: I click on an Internet radio station, and after a few seconds of nothing happening I get the generic “Cannot access Internet Radio Stations (please check your internet connection and try again)” Apple error screen.

The only message flying by the syslog while I am making attempts to start playing an Internet radio station is the following snippet that repeats over & over again:

Mar  3 10:40:56 DaTV2 networkd[198]: MS:Notice: Installing: (null) [networkd] (675.00)

Mar  3 10:40:56 DaTV2 networkd[198]: MS:Notice: Loading: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib

Mar  3 10:40:56 DaTV2 networkd[198]: MS:Error: dlopen(/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib, 9): Symbol not found: OBJC_CLASS$_BRImage

Referenced from: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib

Expected in: flat namespace

in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib

Mar  3 10:40:56 DaTV2 com.apple.networkd[198]: main:212 networkd.198 built Nov  2 2011 20:21:54

Mar  3 10:40:56 DaTV2 xpchelper[200]: MS:Notice: Installing: (null) [xpchelper] (675.00)

Mar  3 10:40:56 DaTV2 xpchelper[200]: MS:Notice: Loading: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib

Mar  3 10:40:56 DaTV2 xpchelper[200]: MS:Error: dlopen(/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib, 9): Symbol not found: OBJC_CLASS$_BRImage

Referenced from: /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib

Expected in: flat namespace

in /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/apocalypsePony.dylib

Network on the aTV2 works great (wired network, not WiFi), as I can stream video from other sources/apps (XBMC) within the aTV2 ecosystem just fine. Sometimes if I leave the Internet Radio player at the “Cannot access Internet Radio stations” error screen, sometimes after a few minutes it will just randomly “start playing” - which totally debunks the bad network error in my mind. However, I am unable to reliably reproduce this “random start” condition on the network error screen.

scratches head

I’m really at a loss for what could be causing this problem, but I use the Internet Radio a lot - so I was hoping to start the ball rolling towards a solution/fix.

If there is any extended debugging information that you would like me to collect, then I would be happy to facilitate that - just let me know what you need.

I’ve dumped the relevant syslog lines from the first time I encountered this problem last weekend:

http://pastebin.com/5kEg0YNK

I wanted to listen to my favourite Radio show (John Digweed’s Transitions Show) which runs from 5-7 PM EST (same TZ as the syslog time stamps). I attempted to tune into the radio station just before 5 PM local time. I was unable to get the Internet Radio player to start playing any audio, until just before 7 PM it randomly just “started playing” from the error screen on its own - but by that time my show was already over! (I’m sure that you can just imagine my frustration levels now).

???

Many Thanks in Advance,

-D.

Please allow me to answer my own post :stuck_out_tongue:

First and foremost - I forgot to mention in my original post that this is not a problem isolated to a single CDN being down or unavailable. All my “favourited” stations fail to load, and when I attempted to browse the radio station categories I would get the same “Cannot access Internet Radio station” error message - or a blank screen with the Category title and no entries. It almost seems like the problem has more to do with getting to the (iTunes?) Internet Radio station service, more than it has to do with connecting to the streaming audio server - but that’s about enough conjecture about this problem! :slight_smile:

Second, I’m a fool. :slight_smile: I’d become so entangled in trying to understand this problem with the native radio player that I totally forgot XBMC could be used to play internet audio streams too, it’s not just for watching videos after all! (Duh!) After browsing the audio plugins, the “RADIO” plugin had all my favourite stations (and 4000+ others)… I also noticed a sweet SoundClound plugin while I was in there too, talk about a two for one deal! This is a perfectly acceptable workaround for me, as it get me to the exact same content streams. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

-D.