Can AVP really display 4k movies?

Do you have prescription inserts, by chance? I’ve read that those exacerbate the glare.

I have the inserts and also wear it with contacts often. I don’t notice any meaningful difference with our without the inserts.

ive also got inserts and they do not add any glare.

I’ve found that the glare can be reduced by doing a few things…

1. Pull the content as close to you as possible. I have no idea why this helps, but it does. Think about having a 32” monitor being 1-2 feet from your face rather than a 200” screen many meters in front of you.
  2. Make the content big enough to fill your entire horizontal FOV. This should be about 90-degrees.
  3. Ensure the content fills as much of your lower FOV as possible think about looking down rather than up.
  4. Use the white sands environment set to dark mode.

Hope this helps others.

Not an unpopular use case here, +1 from me!

I love my partner to bits but ‘I value the home cinema experience’ are 12 syllables they don’t use in that order. No speakers here :scream: So, projector/screen + Infuse + AirPods Max has been a godsend for me, and it’s a solution that also works in a restricted-option projection scenario (or ‘campervan’ as I like to call it).

Of course, this solution calls for different projector/screen combos in each environment (and I’ve gone through quite a few to get to a place where I’m quite content) but it’s worth it for me. For this reason alone I haven’t gone beyond 1080p yet.

I’m optimistic that AVP will meet all these solo movie-watching scenarios (and maybe more?) and with an across-the-board resolution increase. I may even be able to dent the impact of the purchase price by selling all the projectors and screens on eBay :+1:

Exciting times! Looking forward to finding out the UK release date :rofl:

1 Like

If you already use AirPods to watch movies this thing is right up your alley. You will love it.

That’s me @rickwill! :+1:

Coincidentally, I’m considering bringing my tech consultancy company out of financial dormancy so it can start investigating new areas of research. It can legitimately reclaim about 39% of the purchase price of such resources investigating the potential of, for example, I don’t know, hypothetically, maybe, say, a new operating system such as visionOS?

@speedy, thanks for those tips. In my case that’s not working, I wonder if every device has its own glare zones, but what I tried that sort of works for me now, in the Apple Theater for example, is…

1. Lay down but have your head inclined upwards (a few pillows for that)
  2. For the Apple Theater I use Balcony and Middle section for 1.78 or 2.0 aspect ratio, for 2.35 or above Back section
  3. I pulled the strap to the top of my head, so that the lower part of the headset is the one where the headset pivots.
  4. I watch content using the lower part of the lens, which at that angle the glares goes on top.

Other things I’m considering…at this point, hypnosis to make my brain ignore the glares :grinning:

I have a demo on Saturday and will test out other VP to see if it has the same problem.

It’s just a downside of the lenses. I doubt another headset will be any different. Luckily they don’t bother me at all and my brain can just tune them out.

1 Like

yeah gotta say because everyone is talking about this, im now looking for this phenomena in the goggles and if i look for it , ill see it. but if i just enjoy the goggles and use it as its intended, i dont see/notice it.

funny how that works…

That’s true, yesterday I let a co-worker demo mine, and I set up a feature that causes tons of glares. He didn’t notice at first then he thought the lens was dirty. I kept insisting that it was a glare and once that changed positions he agreed. But he was so impressed with he image quality that he almost didn’t care.

1 Like

I had my demo at an Apple Store today. Glare is significantly less than what I have. I made sure to test a sci-fi show (Foundation) in the Apple Theater and I would say mine feels at least twice as strong, if not more.
They kept insisting it could be the light seal, and over there it was a different number than the one I have, but on Monday I will bring mine to the Apple Store and try other seals and possibly exchange headset if that doesn’t fix it

the apple store is very bright so that can mask some of this issue. also many employees there from what ive read and experienced myself, are just not that versed in this system theres usually one master/yoda /guru who knows everything about these goggles and if you can find him or her/them, that’s who you should work with. i found that person at the store i went to.

That’s why I made sure to test the Apple Theater. It’s pitch black and the screen.

I had my Vision Pro replaced today at the Apple Store, and it is much better than what I had, there are glares, but they seem less strong and for the most part they hit the bottom of the lens. In the previous unit it was hitting right in the middle of the eye. They also said they’re going to send that unit to analyze and see why. They seem genuinely interested in this and to be honest, they were great how they handled it.

1 Like

This is the faulty premise right there. For cinemascope type content, many people, including myself, watch with a 60 degree field of view.

THX adopted that “standard” as a minimum quality measure back when DVD’s and 720p displays were common.

Taking a look at a lot private screening room designs, lots of other people seem like a 60 degree field of view, as well.

It’s nice to see someone else who gets this. That is an old number based on available screen sizes and lower quality content. Go to any premium theater and get a seat 1/3 to halfway back and you will be at about 60 degrees FOV. It’s fantastic. With these headsets we also get the added benefit of sitting close to a massive screen, but not having to crane our neck up to see the screen.

1 Like

Yep, and IMAX standard is 70 degree field of view.